Straw hat making?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks
can any one point us towards a book or site about making straw hats? Or are their any straw hat makers on the forum?

The wife is a dab hand at plaiting and for my own dubious reasons I quite fancy a petasus for working in the garden. I've been looking in the charity shops for a wide brimmed low crowned straw hat that isn't stitched together. I've had no joy with sewn together ones as they seem to unravel almost the moment I get my mits on them.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Oddly enough when I looked on my shelf of books th may one i useful there's one on Rushcraft by K Whitbourn and one on Raffia by Claire E. Richards. Will have. Look at th library to see if they have owt on straw working.

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well that's a handy piece of serendipity, for no good reason we went to Colne and in the first charity shop I dragged the family into there was a almost perfect petasus for the princely sum of £2. The only thing wrong with it is there are metal eyelets, which I will remove and replace with leather washers sawn on so it will do for a Roman job. I look a complete idiot in it of course.

imagejpg1_zps30b8e85d.jpg

Incidentally the two all but new wool blankets , pliers and slate sharpening stone were £2 a pop as well.

atb

tom

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Those blankets must have been in someone's blanket box for donkeys years. You don't see utility blankets in that condition very often these days. Nice find, Tom. :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well they stopped using the CC41 logo in 1952 so they can't have been made later than that. Ones brand new I reckon and the other very slightly used. 73 x 89 inches, just measured, so that's double bed sized?

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I stamped out 8 leather washers and removed the metal eyelets before sewing pairs together, one each side of the holes. I had just enough plaited linen cord ( thanks Mary!) to make a chin strap.

imagejpg1_zps7ccd9c6e.jpg

I don't think I could ware it in public but in the garden it will do a better job than the Panamas I have.

atb

tom

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm having mental flashes of you wandering your garden at dawn wearing your hat, a toga and sandals, muttering "...what did the Romans ever do for us?" Great looking hat, you've done a cracking job with those washers, very neat job. I'd have been worried that it would unravel into a pile of tinder if I'd done it. You have to post a picture with you wearing it.:)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, dont be surprised if it comes to pass! Not the toga, too damn heavy and getting the correct wool in the right amount would bankrupt me! The linen tunic I've made is remarkably comfortable on hot days so when the hedges have grown and we have a bit more privacy I may very well wear it regularly out back. It needs a few washes to make it look lived in anyway.

Having a big fat head i need a really wide brimmed hat and this sort sits on the top of your head held on with the chin strap rather than by a hat band so is a lot cooler to wear.

atb

tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE