Strange tyre - looks dodgy to me.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Can one of you more knowledgeable people please take a look at this link and specifically the photograph close up of the tyre. To me it looks dodgy like there's a tread stuck on top of another tread but is coming off.

It's in a van ad for an independent used van dealer. That is a big dealer in this neck of the woods. IMHO I would have replaced those tyres before putting the van on the market. I'd appreciate if someone could enlighten me on what is happening to this tyre.

https://www.edencommercialsltd.co.uk/used-ford-transit-custom-appleby-cumbria-1942322

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
Looks very odd. But may just be down to the way the image has been taken and processed.
Email them and ask for a better picture, or just go and look for yourself.
The blurb suggests that they are no a backstreet crap dealer?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm hoping to get there this Friday. Campervan conversion project. You don't get many tailgate transits so I doubt dodgy tyres would stop me. You can replace tyres easily.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Looks like they weirdly faded out the background to show the tyre tread maybe?

Either that or its d.i.y remould job someones done at home lol

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I would have said it could be down to salt marks or the result of some valeting stuff on the tyre, then I noticed the same photo is used for multiple vans.

Personally, I'd like to see the old tyres on a 2nd hand car as it might show if there's a problem with the tracking etc.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Failing retread was my thought.

I know about uneven wear across the tyre indicating issues (that are easily sorted out most of the time) but could this be indicating issues with the van itself?

Ex AA van with full service history and from a RAC approved garage with RAC inspection too. So you'd think it would be half decent van with any issues picked up and dealt with.

To me it doesn't look like the tyres have been cleaned like most garages do. Also the same pictures appear for all their yellow, ex AA vans so you can't trust what you're seeing is the right van. Very slack that is IMHO. It certainly is worth a visit but puts me off a bit.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Tyre side wall has been sprayed with tyre black, dust on central section of tread, difference in colour providing an optical illusion of shadow and depth. Retired tyres are striped back to the carcass before having a new layer bonded on.

Reactions: Toddy

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Your 'gut feeling' tells you something.
Go with it.

Tracking etc is fairly easy to fix. A proper prang with a bent/twisted body is not. That is the worst case scenario.
check shut lines, that all doors close evenly and smoothly. Stand at each corner and see if the sides are even and straight.
Stand in front and rear of vehicle, meters away, and check for lean.
Check paintwork. Looks the same all over? Slightly worn due to age? (normal) .

Super shiny? Overpaint?

Lou, look on the pic of the tyre only. Weird, imo.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i think its a trick of the light, and the tyre tread has picked up dust off the showroom floor then someone has 'tire shined' the outside edge

or the tyre was cleaned outside, then driven in and if it is overinflated then the outer edges of the tyre wont pick up as much dirt compared to the centre.
Its probably fine tbh, and jjust a weird photo trick

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I doubt and RAC check would have missed that! The 3 blind mice would have caught it. Be interested to ask to see the RAC inspection cert, maybe use it a leverage for a new tyre or two...?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Tyre blacking on the sidewalls but not on the tread.
Very much doubt its anything else but a proper view would show it better.
Mind, its a Transit Custom which if the ones my mates have had is anything to go by aren't that reliable anyway.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My findings aren't guaranteed to be worth much as I've only got basic car / van knowledge. I know the basics of looking at cars, but I should be able to see what the tyre looks like and hopefully spot it it's dodgy.

I reckon they've taken a photograph of one of many ex AA vans and used them for all of the yellow vans. Van sales sites do show tyres but they're mostly better photographs than that one. When tyre black is used it usually looks more shiny and darker ime. Plus it usually goes right to the tread and sometimes on the tread.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The guy that comes and does our cars removes the little stones lodged in the thread, washes and puts tyre shine on.

It is included in the price but is stupid. I told him not to waste his time and materials, but he told me it is his trademark.....

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I'm hoping to get there this Friday. Campervan conversion project. You don't get many tailgate transits so I doubt dodgy tyres would stop me. You can replace tyres easily.
I don't mean to tell you what's what, but isn't it a bit low for a camper van? Any sort of conversion with a higher roof should be pricey?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's a hand carwash near us that dabs a bit of black on the tyres. Don't see the point myself. They are very quick and cheap for such a good job though.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I don't mean to tell you what's what, but isn't it a bit low for a camper van? Any sort of conversion with a higher roof should be pricey?
You can get pop top lids for transits just like VWs. TBH I am too tall for any height van roofs.

Once sat in a high roof IVECO beast of a van. A guy had self converted it. The roof space was a bed with day living space below. Once the bed boards were moved away I could stand up. In my parents motorhomes (third one due soon) I can't even stand up straight underneath the roof vent.

I've been in a similar height citreon and whilst standing up is impossible I found it was not an uncomfortable height to move around in. Bear mind I'm used to tent camping with tent heights not being much higher than 1.7m ime. Still a viewing will tell us if it's too low.

The issue is this will replace our only car ultimately. It would be easier with a below 2.1m height to get into carparks and height restricted places. By all accounts he custom is ford's van to compete with vivaro, Vito and a cheaper VW transporter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE