strange design possibly usefull blanket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
this may be useful

Becketts army surplus in Norwich, at present has 3(mabey more), items they have called "camp blankets" at £4.99! :Wow:
It's not woolen or green!

i shall try to describe it.

it's more like a huge(and i mean huge :Wow: ) open sleeping bag!
it's black nylon, with a drawcorded hood area, it seems to be two layers of sleeping bag so very warm!

here's the weird bit:
it has big handles either end, which would indicate it's some sort of stretcher, but it's too huge and the handles are too far apart so the victim would drag on the floor?!

to add to the mystery, it has rucksack shoulder straps attached to part of it, with a strange belt that seems to be at chest hieght (not a normal chest/sternum strap!!

as i say it's huge a good 7-8 foot long and if there was a foot to head zip you'd easily get 2 people in it(again too long/wide for a stretcher or sleeping bag :confused: )

the shop staff had no idea where it was form or what it is (i asked), they guessed it was an Arktis project and suggested it was some sort of casualty stretcher bag, but as i say it's way too big!

ok, the rucksack straps? you'd assume it forms a sort of rucksack, well :confused: not really, you can sort of fold/roll it into the hood area but not well, then there's nothing to hold it in place, and certainly not waterproof material, also it dosen't compress well, 2ft x 2ft 3ft?

so what is it?

:dunno:

i can make several guesses but each has a flaw!

putting this to one side looking at it, it could be adapted into a pretty good hammock blanket or underquilt.

you never know! ;)

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Wotcher Rap2K.

I,m intrigued.

These "handles", did they seem to be through-fitted, with webbing, like some sort of cranage points?
The rucsack webbing, did this seem a bit over scantling
Daft as it sounds, I,m thinking along the lines of the things that they put distressed dolphins in.

Either that, or a failed domestic sciences project!

Did you get an impression of the sort of insulation?

Ceeg

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
the handles look robust like on a stretcher or padded fabric grab handle for a big suitcase. to on the corners of one side and i think two more central ones?
two people could drag something heavy in this across sand or grass, but lifting,no because the middle handles are missing(?) or not ment to be there

the whole thing layed out probably would hold a small dolphin, the fabric seemed to be in two layers i found a frayed edge and checked.

it is sort of layered like this:

polyester or nylon outer (water resistant?)
polyester inslation
ripstop nylon (the first three are joined)
then loose
polyester insulation

and outer polyester or nylon again, the feel of it suggests there are 2 basic layers that are not attached, theoretically you could use it as a sleeping bag inside the layers! there seemed to be a rustly layer also(waterproof?) but i coulden't tell.

sorry don't know what you mean about this?
did this seem a bit over scantling

there were at least 2 sizes also

one huge one
2 more one of which was normal sleeping bag length but the same design.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Sri about that. Just slipped back to my native tongue for a bit.

It means , in this case, over-engineered, overly robust for apparant requirements; as in "bombproof"

rgds
Ceeg

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
as a sleeping bag it just seems really big.

the only over enginered part would be the rucksack straps, they would suit an army patrol sack, and as i say a strange padded chest strap.

the whole design (ingoreing the straps/handles)is very simple a big sheet with a huge drawstring hood one end

the hood looks simular to the current issue british sleeping bag (i wonder if it is coppied from it) but again too big for a normal sleeping bag.

it's the sort of thing mabey if a giant man (is that pc?) needed a specially made sleeping kit this is what it would be , though he'd need to be 7ft tall and 4 ft wide!
mabey it's a sleeping bag for two, (but with one hood?) :dunno: .

the more i think about it the more i'm confused! :confused:

and that's why i love army surplus you never know what you'll find!

as i say the're £4.99, they were on the forecourt yesterday(i.e. not hidden away).
i only saw 3.

here's a crazy idea...mabey they are designed for the RSPCA or some such group to look after animals with? and somehow ended up there? i've heard of stranger things happening!

By the way i've had a surf for for you for these blankets and came up with nothing! and these items were not on thier web site!

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Well, I am stumped with this.

If it is the rucksack webbing thats OTT, then, I would,ve thought that its an indication of just where the load is designed to be be borne.....rather than the handles.

Be great to be able to tell you that " Oh yes, its a Warrinton-Gibbs Mk.3, standard issue calf and foal comforter", or something.

As it is, I can,t help, but I will settle for it being a well intentioned, but miserably failed sewing project

The bright sparks will be along soon, I,m sure, to put things right.

rgds

Ceeg

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Maybe a some sort of casualty sleeping bag? The over size might be to give more options, if you need to fold it to get to an injury site and the handles for moving a casualty on or off a proper stretcher? And maybe the straps are just a screw up, seemed a good idea until you come to use it, look at a 58 large pack :rolleyes: .
I am just guessing btw, any chance of taking a photo?
Could it be some form of trevois, not sure of spelling but I mean like a drag along stretcher?

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
it's the sort of thing mabey if a giant man (is that pc?) needed a specially made sleeping kit this is what it would be , though he'd need to be 7ft tall and 4 ft wide!

Maybe it's in preperation for new GNome soliders....genetically enhanced "giant" warriors for the future!!!! :lmao:

RAPPLEBY2000 said:
mabey it's a sleeping bag for two, (but with one hood?) :dunno: .

The Navy now allows women onboard their ships....maybe the Army are getting ready to allow women to fight with front line troops? ? ? :lmao:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i don't think a phote would help.

it's just a square sleeping drawstring hood bag hood one end,
and on the other side handles on the bottom at two corners 2 more handles and rucksack straps behind where the back should be when liying down.

the horse cover seems a good idea, but thye hood looks designed for human use!

the smaller version is about the right size for a human sleeping bag.

it's all black with no numbers or id

i don't know if the handles would be strong enough for dragging a horse, they are stitched onto the bag which looks more of an afterthought, unlike the SAS/hammock/stretcher which are heavily re-enforced with webbing :confused:

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Its getting to sound a bit like its a valise for something or other.

Carry bag for bits of a micro light, or paraglide wing?????

I recall being in a junk shop, some years ago and got quite perplexed by some contraption of leather and spring steel, I just couldnt figure it out, at all.
On enquiry, it proved to be part of a buy-out from a defunct medical supply company, and was, in fact, a rupture truss.

But ,I agree, Rap2K, this kind of store is fascinating, in a Dickensian sort of way.
Do you reckon you have a project in the offing, there?

Ceeg

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
if you took all the webbing handles, rucksack straps and hood off.

what you'd potentially have is a multi layer hammock underquilt, (though a fair amount of home sewing would be needed)i could seperate the layers and produce either 1 medium weight underquilt, and 1 over quilt or it could be doubbled up as a winter underquilt, (or double sleeping bag) i'm sure it'd be warm enough it's certainly long enough.
i made a down filled under-quilt,(i even plucked some of the feathers :rolleyes: ) but though i mesured it carefully when sleeping in it it moves and my feet always get cold :( ,
this is a potential answer but not a very portable one, not forgetting it's bulky!

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
From the description, it seems like the unusual (chest??) strap, maybe be for compressing the folded article, and carried like a rucksack???

Maybe when folded correctly the oter two handles meet for hauling the article around???

Maybe it is a emergency picnic insulation pod, from a mail order catalogue, in a sunday paper in the UK. You might get a free slipper, that you can put both feel into. Or £10 of a picnic rucksack.

:lmao: :D :) :lmao: :p :aargh4:

You never know. :confused:

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
If it's 8 foot long, I'd unpick all the straps on it, install a drawcord in each end and voila! a ready made peapod sleepingbag. Assuming you use an open top hammock, rather than a Hennessy. This would get rid of the need for a separate overquilt.
And if you wanted to get really creative, put a velcro-closing head hole in the centre so it doubles as a insulated-tunic.... ok, too many prospects for my tiny hammock-obsessed brain.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
oo-er it's getting tricky this one isn't it! :confused:

it seems like the unusual (chest??) strap, maybe be for compressing the folded article, and carried like a rucksack???
nope, it's as i say standard style rucksack straps, and the chest strap is attatched (properly sewn on) in the standard position, so if used as compression as you suggest the padded rucksack shoulder straps become useless.
would it not be easier just to roll it into the hood(i tried and it don't work!).

Maybe when folded correctly the outer two handles meet for hauling the article around???
sensible suggestion :) but the handles are heavy duty, like for lifting a big weight, just really strangely positioned, though i like the dolphin blanket idea, you prehaps could use the handles to roll the dolphin/animal on/off other things, but as i say the handles woulden't be up to half a tonn of mammal wet or dryl!

If it's 8 foot long, I'd unpick all the straps on it, install a drawcord in each end and voila! a ready made peapod sleepingbag. Assuming you use an open top hammock, rather than a Hennessy. This would get rid of the need for a separate overquilt.
:eek: :You_Rock_
that's a fantastic idea!, i may look into it!, i don't know if the fabric's up to it but a damn good idea!
only down side being it's huge bulk, but it would be fine if traveling in a vehicle in winter for example, i can't say how warm it would be but at a quick glance i'd say 3 season plus! :D

hhhmm! i might just take another look at them! ;)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
sorry no picture :(

here is a link to the store but, the blanket isn't on the site

Becketts army surplus in Norwich

it's a one off items they useally have on their forecourt along with ammo boxes, tools, gloves, pouches, straps etc that they either sell to curious passers by (like me)or not at all!

it's probably not a "store" item.

if you contacted them they might be able to help with a photo but they had no idea what it is! :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE