Straight edge razor shaving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I got a Dovo razor for Christmas and i've attempted to use it a couple of times but i'm struggling, that got me wondering if any of you use a straight edge for shaving and how you've got on with them, if you do use one why do you like it and if you've tried but not got on with them why?

I was wondering if this should go into the edged tools forum but the subject is broader than just the blade so i've put it here.

i'm using the palmolive cream, decent brush (soaking it in hot water) showering and getting the hair soft, then lathering up, then shaving, well trying to it's hard work and it's not cutting well.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nic one Tony. It's the razor letting you down, not the soap or prep. Razors don't come shave ready from the factory, it'll need honing and stropping.

I set the bevel on a 1K stone after a layer of electrical tape is put over the spine. This is the important stage as setting the bevel is everything.

I go on to a 6K then a 10+, strop on a loaded paddle strop then use a hanging strop. Sounds like a lot but it isn't once you get the hang of it.

You can send it off to be honed if you don't have the time, it'll make a world of difference once it's set up. It will only need to see stones a couple times a year if you keep it maintained with strops.

Actual shaving technique is no pressure when shaving and practically lay the razor on your face then increase the angle of the spine slightly.

If none of that makes sense check out www.straightrazorplace.com as there's a tonne of info there. Stick with it as it's rewarding, I've been at it 15 years now and wouldn't go back to cartridge razors for any amount of money...

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Might be worth having a look, or joining up on http://badgerandblade.com/ lots of useful information on there, seems like shaving can become a bit of an obsession for some !

I switched from Gillete Mach3 cartidges at xmas to a double edged razor and having problems adjusting. Seems that different brands of razor blades suit different razors and skin/beard so just working through a sample pack to see if I can find something that works for me. In the meantime plenty of teatree cream and witchhazel to hand to try and rescue my poor face and neck !

Haven't tried a straight razor, but assuming it is sharp enough, it's probably not dissimiliar to the DE in that the angle of presentation to the skin is pretty critical ?

Good luck !

Cheers, Paul

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Might be worth having a look, or joining up on http://badgerandblade.com/ lots of useful information on there, seems like shaving can become a bit of an obsession for some !

I switched from Gillete Mach3 cartidges at xmas to a double edged razor and having problems adjusting. Seems that different brands of razor blades suit different razors and skin/beard so just working through a sample pack to see if I can find something that works for me. In the meantime plenty of teatree cream and witchhazel to hand to try and rescue my poor face and neck !

Haven't tried a straight razor, but assuming it is sharp enough, it's probably not dissimiliar to the DE in that the angle of presentation to the skin is pretty critical ?

Good luck !

Cheers, Paul

Just keep at it Paul, it takes a few weeks for your face to adjust to it. Keep trying different blades as well, you'll find some better than others. The first shave with a DE can be somewhat harsh then the blade butters up a bit and smoothes out until it goes on the turn to being dull. Saying some get a bit obsessed is an understatement! I know people that call badger and blade guns and glory. Plenty of info on there as well. Have fun

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
thanks guys, i had a good look through the sites back at Christmas time, I'll have another look, it's great to know I've got some peers :D

I'll have a go at the edge, time to get my stones out :D

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Light pressure once you've set the bevel and I do mean light! X strokes are the way forward in my opinion...

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I am a DE shaver Tony but it took about two weeks to transition a few years back.
Useing a Merkur and Feathers, Simpson silver tip badger and Mitchels wool fat soap.
Good luck!
Chris.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Dovo_zpsc00792b7.jpg
[/IMG]
Keeping the whiskers away!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
how do you find the stainless one? mines carbon and i managed to get a nice bit of rust on it within a very short period, I thought it was dry but I guess now. I did wonder if the SS one would have been a better choice in that respect.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
likewise (though a decade older in my case). I like the idea of using a straight razor, but then the idea of scraping a (literally) razor sharp blade around my face and throat scares the bejeezus out of me! Think I'll stick to a beard thanks ;)

Blankfisherman

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2004
Fareham, Hampshire
I swear by mine.

I got it from my uncle who had it back in early 60's when he was in the RAF.

One little trick is to steam your face before you apply the soap/cream (think prep work before exfoliating your skin).

If you still dont get on with the razor send it to me I will look after it for you!!!!

Tom

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Now that all looks scary!
I gave up shaving at 16!

John my razor would just love to meet your beard!!!!:eek: it would have that off in a jiffy!

Tony- perfect- lovely blade- I lather well with my Grandad's badger brush - best if you heat up your skin in a warm towel first thereby spending a long time in the bathroom!.

Last edited:

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I just dug from the bookshelf my Grandfather's razor.

It looks old and is of carbon steel as it has a patina and some pitting. It has a round end and in the middle in script it says extra hollow ground, near the joint it says in upper case - stamped and faded though "THOMAS T***** CUTLER TO HIS MAJ**** SHEFFIELD".

I tried it once years ago but bottled it.

Liam

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
These are old razors but use the white handle one to shave my belly. Works a treat ,i just strop it on a leather patch with some polishing paste before each use.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 23

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Great thread. I keep thinking I should give this a go but don't really want to get all obsessive about another thing. The German journeymen I have worked with tend to use them as they are often on the road and if you have a week or two's beard then a cartridge razor can clog up more easily.
Sasquatch in post 2 what is the electrical tape on the spine doing?

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Electrical tape isn't required but most honers will use it. It just protects the spine from hone wear. Makes life easier honing the big full flat wedges as well, I'll use a couple pieces, sometimes three depending on the razor to set an even bevel. The tape gives you an angle on those ones to avoid the whole blade hitting the stone. As you already have equipment I reckon you'd enjoy it Robin, the honing and stropping of a razor is half the fun...

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Having moved to DE shaving two years ago I will never go back to cartridges.
I guess a straight is the next step!?
The prep is more than half of it, its almost a Zen thing!
Best.
da C.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE