Stove paint advice.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lkp6470

Aug 18, 2011
Somerset
Hello all,
Sorry if this topic has been covered previously, but just wanted some advice on stove paint/polish.
Hopefully, I will be buying an Eldfell stove for my Tentipi at the weekend (got to be nice to the OH ;) !)
Can't afford the Pro model, so it's "ordinary" steel (good price though).
I presume it will go all rusty on me, so should I paint it, or use stove polish?
Not sure I like the idea of painting it (fumes/chemicals,etc), not too bothered about appearance, just want it to last, and me not get mucky when setting up/taking down!
Seem to remember when we had a woodburner at home, I used Zeebright or something - looked good, but we got covered in black everytime we went near it!
Any thoughts?

Regards, Lee.

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
my friend makes gas bottle wood and coal stoves... he uses simoniz vht paint on his stoves it can take up to 1200 degrees and once the stove has had a good burn thats it it dont come off or anything or remain sticky dont know what it would be like on a stove for in the house but for wood burners perhaps in your tent it would be fantastic.. he buys it from a seller on evilbay I believe.. hope that helps....

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I used the HT BBQ paint on my stove, it has to be cured, by firing the stove a couple of times, worked fine..

lkp6470

Aug 18, 2011
Somerset
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Looks like it will be stove paint, probably run the stove up outside at first though.
Hopefully picking the stove up tomorrow ;)
Finally trying out my home made canvas tarp setup this weekend too!

Lee.

lkp6470

Aug 18, 2011
Somerset
Just an update.
As I was seasoning my cast iron pans, some of the oil dripped onto the stove....
So now the whole lot has been oiled up - just a little bit of smoke on first light up :), but stove and chimney are turning a lovely shiny black colour!
Cheaper, too!

Lee.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Unless you've got a huge stove, you'll need coal to keep it going all night. I've lit ours from embers the next day but there wasn't huge heat.

Trying to keep a stove slumbering can cause problems with soot as it's not burning hot enough. Cleaning the glass is a pain but cleaning the flue can prevent chimney fires/carbon monoxide poisoning

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE