stove hmmmmmmm...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

bushboy1

im really anoyed with stoves being expensive for the yurt i live in and most arent really cost effective so please can some one help buy giving me plans for a wood burning stove and some pictures. it can only invole these tools:

hack saw
dremel
drill

cheers

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
Try looking at minibull designs, tinny made a woodburning stove out of a mini heineken keg. should be able to do it with the tools you have :rolleyes:
I made a mini wood burning stove out of large dog food can for my father-in-law to use to warm up his workshop....only gave it too him lastnight so can't tell you how it went yet.:lmao: though I did take a few pics before I gave it too him. can post them if you want to have look.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Had I not lost 20 months of data when my laptop died, I'd have given you a comprehensive list of MYOG (make your own gear) tent and cabin, wood burning stoves.

Perhaps use your computer to search for DIY Tent Stoves, Make Your Own Gear Tent Stoves, Wood Burning Stoves, Cabin Stoves etc.....

Also use the Image Search facility as I've found really good websites this way, which did not appear in the Web Search.

Metal tool boxes, cooking oil drums, catering size tins from coffee and foodstuffs all work. Your local deli, coffee shop etc will happily let you have empty tins for free.

My personal favorite is to use a discarded stainless steel bathroom cabinet, cut down to approximate the size between a Kifaru Para-Stove, and their Small Stove. It also folds flat, and was free!

There is free information online which will suit your specific needs perfectly, Google is your friend!

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
yes please post

asap

cheers goodjob

here's the pic's of the woodburner.....works great with charcoal:D
30kzn21.jpg

35a5amb.jpg

9zmsed.jpg

2yo8s9i.jpg

hope you can make sense of the pic's:rolleyes:

B

bushboy1

cheers could you also put some plans on i`d be very greatful

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
cheers could you also put some plans on i`d be very greatful
Didn't use any plans just knocked it together with what I had laying around....it started out as joke because my father-in-law uses a couple of candles to stay warm, so I said I'd make him a woodburner and this is what I came up with.

But here goes with what I used.

2x 1250g dog food tins
1x 400 g dog food tin
4x brackets ( I had laying round)
1x captive nut clip (also laying round)
2x short nuts & bolts
1x long bolt& 2 nuts
1 rivet
1x 32mm copper pipe and compression fitting (once again laying round in the garage)

open all tins as normal then in the 1st large tin make 2 holes for the base legs and 1 hole at top rear for the copper pipe.

cut top and bottom off the 400g tin and cut down the middle and flatten, this has to have a load of holes punched in it as this will form the grate. bend 2cm in each side and the full length of the the sheet and use a left over piece to form a straps and hold these in place with the feet bracket bolts.

the lid of 1 of the tins I cut about 2/3rd to make the door and the piece left over to make the draught door.

2nd large tin placed the door on and marked around then cut 3mm in so there was enough to for a shut for the door. the drilled out draught hole underneath and riveted the draught door on to it. you then have to cut off the base you have been working on 2cm down as this has to be pushed into the burn chamber to enclose it.

you may be able to see some off this from the pic's.....but if not I will try and make another one when time permits and do a tutorial:eek:

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland
No matter what you finally decide upon to make your wee stove to keep your yurt warm, do not neglect the issue of venting. If your stove can leak fumes into your living space, you might get nice and snug, fall asleep, and wake up to be issued with your harp and halo.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
I've thought about this a lot and one idea I had was to build a modified beehive shaped earth oven bang in the center of a yurt or teepe, with a hole in the top with a tube shaped section to slot a stove pipe in. It would be half stove and half open fire. Something like these, but without the platform and with a flue pipe on the top.

http://www.karuna.org.uk/userfiles/images/Earth oven 013.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-zvK9ibLc...S6M_aE/s400/clay_bread_oven_340x255.jpg.3.jpg

You could build in a flat section for a kettle pretty easily. I'd also consider burying a pipe underground to feed the fire with cold air from outside the yurt, this would be safer in terms of CO2 and also stop warmed air inside the yurt from going up the chimney, this is what they do with Russian ovens. You'd definately need to scotchguard the roof and instal a spark arrestor, but it could be a good cheap option. One other thing you'll find is that the flue will cost you at least a hundred quid, an alternative option I've heard of involves using old exhaust pipes from articulated lorries. The big fat ones that go up the sides of the cabin.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE