Stove fuel.

Roefisher

Forager
Oct 15, 2005
The Roe Valley
Hello,

I've been using panel wipe to fuel my Primus Omnifuel stove. I also used gas with it the other day at home and am fairly sure that either the pw is weaker or maybe it has gone off with age as it is seems to be much cooler burning.

That got me thinking about what makes the best fuel? I've been away from keeping up to date on this for maybe a year or two and have also forgotten most of the other fuel options so any favourite methods or opinions and help would be welcome.

Thank you,

Mark

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Aspen 4(alkylate petrol) seems to burn as well as Coleman fuel in my Omnifuel.

Gas is still the best fuel though by far, it needs no priming or pump and minimal cleaning

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Panel wipe comes in 2 flavours, white spirit and naptha. Be sure to buy the right one.

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
If your stove will take it (and you can get hold of some!), Avgas 100LL is pretty good. A few years ago a mate of mine put Jet A1 (JP4)in an MSR XGK, and it's the fastest i've seen a litre of water boil, even though it was about 0 Celsius. The only problem was that it looked and sounded like a jet fighter on full reheat.

Alan

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
IMHO the best fuel for an Omnifuel in UK at the present time is Aspen alkylate petrol or Coleman fuel. PW is ok but does sometimes seem to be a bit 'cooler' or 'slower'. The Omni will burn gas but it isn't a gas burner and I've always considered it an option but not something you'd want to be doing all the time. Paraffin gives a good, hot burn but is smelly and requires a priming fuel unless you're prepared to tolerate the dirty business of priming with paraffin. Diesel is a hot burn too but is dirtier and smellier than paraffin. Alcohol can be done but is not a recommended fuel and rots the fuel bottles. Which brings us back to Aspen/Coleman. Clean, hot, primes easily & cleanly with itself, can be substituted, in a pinch and without a jet change, with road petrol, and last but not least, has a very similar substitute which is widely available in small pack sizes, ie lighter fuel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE