Stove flue rain hats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Now we all know you can buy rain hats for whatever stove flue pipe you use. But these are costly and there is surely a home made alternative.

So show us (or describe to us) your rain hats. My mind won't go beyond a simple tin can, some tent pegs and a few holes but I'm sure there are other and better ideas out there.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I made mine with two tins and a bird feeder for a frontier stove. Will try to post pics this evening.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Must admit that I have some - possibly irrational - concerns about stovepipe rain hats. Why? Because in all my stove-heated tipis, I've never had even one spark-hole in the fabric, despite running the stoves full-bore. I believe that is because any remaining hot cinders getting through the stove cinder screen shoot out the top of the stovepipe at speed, and either get caught by any bit of wind, or cool sufficiently on the way back downwards to not cause a problem to the tipi fabric. My concerns therefore are that putting on a rain-hat on the stovepipe will deflect sparks/mini-cinders back downwards onto the tipi whilst still glowing. A combination of hot cinder and high velocity seems to me to be a guarantee of burns to the tipi fabric!

And what are the downsides to not having a rain-hat? If the stove is going, even torrential rain is going to evaporate before hitting the stove body. If the stove is out, some water will collect in the body of the stove after a while. No corrosion risk for titanium/stainless steel stoves. Takes a few seconds to mop up before lighting again...

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
I agree with Andy BB so I pop an empty can over the top of my flu when it's not lit. Just be sure to remove it before lighting again.

However I did make this one out of some stainless plate and riveted it to the flu, on an ammo can stove I made.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Must admit that I have some - possibly irrational - concerns about stovepipe rain hats. Why? Because in all my stove-heated tipis, I've never had even one spark-hole in the fabric, despite running the stoves full-bore. I believe that is because any remaining hot cinders getting through the stove cinder screen shoot out the top of the stovepipe at speed, and either get caught by any bit of wind, or cool sufficiently on the way back downwards to not cause a problem to the tipi fabric. My concerns therefore are that putting on a rain-hat on the stovepipe will deflect sparks/mini-cinders back downwards onto the tipi whilst still glowing. A combination of hot cinder and high velocity seems to me to be a guarantee of burns to the tipi fabric!

And what are the downsides to not having a rain-hat? If the stove is going, even torrential rain is going to evaporate before hitting the stove body. If the stove is out, some water will collect in the body of the stove after a while. No corrosion risk for titanium/stainless steel stoves. Takes a few seconds to mop up before lighting again...

Hmmmm....good point. I suppose you could cap it when not in use to prevent rain getting into the stove and when lit, as you say, water will evaporate in the pipe.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Hmmmm....good point. I suppose you could cap it when not in use to prevent rain getting into the stove and when lit, as you say, water will evaporate in the pipe.

Other option is to remove the pipe from the stove and rest it on the floor (assuming you're not using a sewn-in groundsheet!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE