Storytelling Discs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
hotchpotchblog.wordpress.com
A while ago I played a game with my children using "Story Cubes" (basically some dice with pictures or symbols on them which you roll and have to incorporate into an improvised story).

It was good fun, so we set about making our own version of them with a bushcrafty-feel. I reckon this would be a good game to play around a campfire.

p1010018-copy.jpg

I took a branch of Eucalyptus from a pile in my garden, and cut it into discs of roughly equal thickness, then gave them a quick sanding.

Then I roughly drew some pencil designs onto them and heated the tip of a bradawl until it glowed red and burned the designs into each face of the wood "coin".

I found that I could get a about three lines burned in before it needed reheating.

The full set...

p1010036-copy.jpg

p1010035-copy.jpg

p1010034-copy.jpg

p1010033-copy.jpg

p1010032-copy.jpg

p1010031-copy.jpg

To play you draw 6 symbols randomly from the bag, lay them out in whichever order you choose and then tell a story. Some of the designs are obvious, and some are ambiguous, so are down to interpretation (is it a symbol for a Hospital or a Helipad etc etc?) making things a little more interesting.

I've found that when playing it, the best way is not to treat it as a challenge to get through them as quickly as possible, but to have a bit of fun and you can get some fairly elaborate stories told with them.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What a brilliant idea :D and a great way to do a story journey too :cool: A very bushcrafty child's game you have made :D
Y'know the pelmanism game ? remembering what was on a turned over card so it could be matched with a similar one ? you could play a version of that too with them.

I started a thread a little while ago on bushcraft ideas for children; if you don't mind I'll link to this thread.

Thank you for the photos :)

cheers,
Toddy

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
hotchpotchblog.wordpress.com
What a brilliant idea :D and a great way to do a story journey too :cool: A very bushcrafty child's game you have made :D
Y'know the pelmanism game ? remembering what was on a turned over card so it could be matched with a similar one ? you could play a version of that too with them.

I started a thread a little while ago on bushcraft ideas for children; if you don't mind I'll link to this thread.

Thank you for the photos :)

cheers,
Toddy

Thanks.

I do remember a game like that.

Link away :) I've been away for a few weeks and haven't caught up on the threads yet but will do soon.

Thanks again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE