storm kettle aluminium repair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
Hi there, I have a couple of 1 litre storm kettles which get weekly use and are over 4 years old. One of them has developed a bit of a leak at the base where the metal is rolled over. It is worst when heated up which is pretty dire as the water drips into the base and puts out the fire!!!

Just wondering if anyone here has actually successfully repaired this sort of problem in a storm kettle or if anyone works with aluminium welding / brazing and knows how to do it?

The folks at http://www.thestormkettleshop.com didn't have a definitive answer but were so nice and helpful that I bought a replacement from them anyway. I need a few kettles for events so would still like to repair this one.

I've looked at the epoxy aluminium putties on the net but am not sure about safety in contact with both heat and drinking water.
Very grateful for any advice.

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
It should be straight forward 2 minute job for anyone who has the kit to MIG or TIG weld aluminium, just needs a bead over the hole to seal it up.

I'm not a welder myself but having studied mech engineering I know it's an easy job, it's not like you need to x-ray it or anything ;)

Springheeljack1

Forager
May 12, 2011
Sheffield
Sounds daft but a little bit of Milliputty may work as a quick fix until you get it welded, I don't know how well it would put up with sustained fire, but it should be fine in the short term.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Try putting one egg white in the water, only half full, shake it up and then boil for ten minutes. It worked on my aluminium car radiator many years ago fixed it for years. Cheap and worth trying.

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
Thanks all, I knew I'd get some answers here:)
I'll try Milliput while I look around for the tig / mig welding option.
Is it something a car bodyshop would have?
cheers
Richard

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
The stuff I mentioned is an aluminium solder - used it on my Kelly Kettle that leaked too. You need to melt it with a blowtorch & then brush through it with a stainless brush to break the oxide layer - it then flows like normal plumbers solder

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE