Storing water stones

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
I recently made a big mistake of puting my water stones with all my
other kit now to weeks later i get my gear out all coverd in mold.
After a good clean everything is ok.

So were and how do you guys store your water stones.

Rob.

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I keep my waterstones in the workshop, and use a pocket diamond hone in the field.

I keep the 800g and 1200g waterstones in a tupperware box in water, so they are always kept wet. I add a drop of bleach to the water to inhibit mould growth. The 3000g waterstone I keep dry.
Hope this helps :)
Cheers,
Doug.

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Dougster, I don't think it really matters whether you keep the stones wet or dry.
I keep mine wet because I do a lot of woodwork and use them to sharpen chisels and plane blades regularly, as well as knives for bushcrafty things. Keeping them wet means that they are always ready for use. :)
Cheers,
Doug.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I keep all of my stones in the workshop and leave them to dry out. That way when I need ot flatten them out they are in the right condition to allow me to do so ;) Not really a hassel soaking a stone when I need to sharpen things, but I do have some small 3x1" versions of them that are left on the side of my workbench for touch ups when I don't want to wit the 5 mins it would take to soak a large stone :D

If you leave your stones wet or in the workshop to dry out, make sure they are insulated from the cold. Mine got frozen a couple of times this winter and so far most are ok, but I have had one stone begin to crumble from frost damage. :( Antifreeze can be added to the water but I don't really wnat to do that since one of the reasons I like waterstones is coz they are clean :rolleyes: Also I don't want to have my hands in antifreeze!

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
I use mine then leave them to dry for 24 hours on the side in the kitchen then put them back in the cardboard boxes they came in - no problems so far.

Phil.

Same here :lmao: although I have a little mold on the card board boxes now. I'm looking into plastic containers to store them in in the future becuase of this.

ATB....Stu

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I keep mine wrapped in a tea towel. It provides protection for the stone when not in use and also gives grip to stop slippage as well as keeping the table surface clean when I'm sharpening.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE