Storage of Sharpening Stones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mbatham

Sorry if this has come up before, I have looked but can't see a related thread. Any who, I have been using a DC4 alone, quite happily, to sharpen my knife but figured it was time get some bench stones. To cut a long story short, I have invested in a vey nice set of water stones and all the associated bits (flattening stone etc.).

The only trouble I have is the storage of these stones - I cannot find advice any where, well, within my quick 10 minute search of the web. So I thought I would pose the question to you guys - How should I store my Water Stones?

I have heard mumbles of immersed in water whilst in storage and others of they are to be kept bone dry...please help....

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
I keep mine in water, they are always ready to use that way. The only reason you wouldnt want to store them wet is if they are likely to be exposed to sub zero temperatures which would crack them. A few threads down under sharpening theres a picture of my container and lid/stone holder, Hoodoo posted a link in the same thread to a commercial version designed to keep them submerged. They shouldnt be used dry and it can take quite a while to soak them.

dsgr

Dec 31, 2004
Greece
From what I've read on the net, different brands of waterstones have specific storage requirements, for example Shapton prof. waterstones should NOT be left to soak. Check with the manufacturer to be sure. It also depends on the grit, coarse grits may require 10 mins soaking, ultra fine polishing stones only a sprinkle of water.

Hope this helps,

Dimitris

mbatham

Cheers for those replies. I have searched the net for Ice Bear Stones and cannot find the manufacturer for these - does anyone know who makes them?

I have 800, 1200 and 6000 grit stones. So far I have been thinking to keep the 800 and 1200 soaked in storage but keep the 6000 dry and sprinkle it with water when its needed. The stones will be kept indoors so extremes of temperature won't be a problem.

Any more advice would be much appriciated.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
My experience with waterstones is limited to King brand, I havent used any others, I have 800/1200/6000 and on occassion when my stones havent been used for some time I've allowed the reservoir to evaporate and the 1200 stone in particular can take hours to become soaked, giving off a steady stream of bubbles, my 6000 isnt porous so I dont suppose it makes much difference whether its wet or not, I just leave it in the water with my other stones to keep them together.

dsgr

Dec 31, 2004
Greece
I haven't been able to find the manufacturer, but this page has some info, quoting from that : "The 1,000 and 4,000 grit stones should be soaked before using (or kept in a water bath)..."

regards,
Dimitris

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Having read this thread I'm not clear on what is best. I have recently bought some japanese water stones (King brand, 800, 1200 and 6000, and a nagura stone).

I currently do not keep them submersed when they are not in use, does it hurt to keep them dry and just soak them before use, or should I be keeping them in water at all times?

mbatham

Tonight I have used my stones for the first time. They needed soaking for a couple of hours to get them up to scratch - it is easy to see the advantage of keeping them submersed now.

I have acheived a razor edge that I have never acheived before. I managed to shave the hairs on my arms to a texture similar to that of a babies bottom! It realy is a fantastic way to sharpen your knife.

I don't think it matters if the stones are stored dry but it is a faf to soak them a couple of hours before use. Do they have to be bone dry before they are stored again?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE