Stora Le, Sweden, September 2010

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
It won't be coming early this year. I'm off to Stora Le on April 5th for 10 days (doing the entire lakes). By now the lake has started to defrost and temps are around +3/4 degrees, but so far this year it's been -7/8 and down to -18 at night.
Got a funny feeling I may be in for a big disappointment!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hi Chris!

This is my first post on Bushcraftuk :) Nice pictures, but when reading your descriptions, I had a question.
I'll be walking alongside Stora-Le this summer. (from Ed --> Sund) with 5 other friends. This means we will be with 6 people, but we have no idea how fast we will be walking (because 90% of the time we'll be off-road).
Would it be a problem if we just camped anywhere when we got tired instead of went looking for a designated camping site?

Maybe a second question, I was also thinking of bringing some fish wire and some hooks, so we could try and perhaps catch a fish, woult it be necassary to buy a licence for that?

Looking forward to an answer,
Wouter, Belgium

I gotta get back on here more often! Since buying a house I don't seem to have had time for anything on the internet other than tips on DIY and decorating! No time for knife making nor trips to the forest. :aargh4:

Anyway, if it isn't too late....
If you are going over-land I would not imagine there would be much problem with your group of 6 camping where you found yourself in the evening. The lake shore does not provide all that many good places to pull out a canoe and camp and having large groups use dedicated sites means that the rest of the shore is not excessively fouled or trampled upon. Away from the lake the pressure is greatly reduced. Special rules apply for the Tresticklan park: http://www.swedishepa.se/Enjoying-n...an/Regulations-for-Tresticklan-National-Park/.

Fishing licenses can be purchases from the tackle shop in Ed, but they tend to close early. I am not sure whether I would bother trying to fish from the shore. The locals went to great pains explaining that if one wanted to catch fish one needed to troll the middle of the lake (that is, trail lures behind a boat, nothing to do with beasts under bridges). We caught one tiny pike and an equally small perch while being mobbed by mossies in the twilight of a very fishy looking bay. :p

Hope you will share your photos when you get back!

Good luck :)

May 28, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Thank you for your answer! And no it isn't too late, I leave in in September :)

Thanks for your advice on fishing, but I think I'm still gonna try! You never know. :rolleyes:
I haven't got a lot of fishing experience, so if I'll try to fish (from the shore) how would you recommend I do it? Fishing with a jig, spoon or lures? (Have only ever used the clasical live mades, so well like I said, not a lot of expercience) :)
I'm not looking to catch a big fish, just something tasty to prepare above the campfire.

All your help/advice is welcome!

And yes, try to take some time of working in your house, I myself am having exams right now, wish I coul be outside..

Wouter

Oh and I will definetly try to post some photos! Even planning on making a little film

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
Canada
Truly outstanding pictures! You are so very lucky. Those pictures could have been taken anywhere in Northern Ontario, where I've spent the last 25yrs. My heart aches to be back there again...
If your planning another trip soon, and you need a bloke to haul your gear, give me a shout... ;)
Cheers
Alex

May 28, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
So I've been back from my trip to Stora-Le for a while now. We had a great time and like I promised, here are a few pictures, hope you like them :)
If you've got a question about our trip, feel free to ask.

Wouter

GOPR0063.jpg

P1100005.jpg

P1100040.jpg

P1100076.jpg

P1090980.jpg

Feb 12, 2015
London
Hi there,

This looks like an amazing trip! My friend and I are planning to spend a month on stora le and the surrounding area in the summer. Can you advise me on whether to buy or rent a canoe ? Or if it's easy to do either of these things? Also does anyone know how easy it is to catch edible fish in stora le?

Thanks,

Joe

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hello Joe,

I would rent. It might be cheaper to buy a boat, if you found the right one, but the hassle and additional costs, not to mention what to do with it when finished, would put me off. For example, you can fly to Gothenburg, catch a train to Ed and rent almost everything, alternatively, you can turn up hoping to buy a boat, then have to figure out how to find suitable boats, how to get to them to see them, and how to get them from where ever you buy it, back to the lake, at which point you will either have to work a very good deal with the rental place for camping gear, or have brought it all with you, which limits you somewhat.

The rental place we use is http://www.canodal.com/homeeng.html The chap I go with has his own fleet of canoes in the UK, and will trailer them up to Scotland from the Witney area, but we always rent. The boats are on the water, can be transported by the site to alternative put ins, you can hire other camping gear and water proof barrels for food. The only thing I would say is that you bring your own paddles, and maybe kneeling pads! The canoes are good, but the paddles are the most unrefined I have seen anywhere. They are wood, and tough, and heavy.

Just found this, haven't read it, but it has names, contacts and other info you may find really handy.
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?1055-Dalsland-Nordmarken

I mention our attempts to catch fish in Stora Le. In short, it was difficult. I am going back in May and might take tackle (very small packable) but if so I will be looking on it as recreation, not as a means to supplement rations. Fishing from a canoe is incompatible with travelling with non-fishers.

Last edited:

Kooga

Jul 22, 2015
Sussex
Hi there Chris,

Old post I know, but those pictures are excellent (as are yours Wouter).

I am in the process of planning a canoe trip to Stora Le early September. There'll be 3 of us (possibly 4) and I wondered if you could clarify any more about the Nature Conservation Card policy.

Is it only a requirement if you want to use the designated campsites? Do you feel a 'group' of 3 would be acceptable camping anywhere?

The little info I can find re the cards suggests it to be around £5 per person per night. Does that sound about right?

Grateful for any advise you can give,
Dan

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
The payment is only needed if using the designated camp spots. It goes to help pay for the fire wood, empty bins and general conservation costs.
I would buy it whether i use the shelters or not.

Bear in mind that no fires are allowed anywhere other than these spots during the summer months.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE