Still cant read a complete post due to those *&$$£$* adverts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Try opening the link to British Blades then and see what happens - it puts the web site within a frame within the already restricted frame set on this site and is virtually impossible to navigate - anyone else tried and found this?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks for pointing that out SB we didn't realise that it was dropping the external sites into the frames.

FYI we're working on the solution to your display problem, it's not straight forward though so it's taking some time.

Cheers
T

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Though I have seen the picture problem, I've now found the same problem with PMs, especially when opening the PMs in response to the popup notification which I've just enabled.

Actually the problem now I look at it again is when there are photos in the PM. Because the PMs have the additional menu inserted into the frame, it means that even smaller photos can overspill the space and I've had some problems in accessing the reply button which can be frustrating. Running a laptop means you don't have access to mouse buttons to scroll sideways without a scroll bar. Solution to the popup is to remember to open into a new screen (now that I've disabled the popup blocker, lol), but thats a workaround that isn't great.

XP 1024 x 768

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Thanks for pointing that out SB we didn't realise that it was dropping the external sites into the frames.

FYI we're working on the solution to your display problem, it's not straight forward though so it's taking some time.

Cheers
T

Tone, did you look at the suggestions I posted?

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Dommy, I think in the past Tony's not been keen on adding mods to the standard install too much since they can introduce security issues.

Also, if he applies and update then some mods need to be re-added to the new version which is a pain.

Looking at the links tho, at least they just do client side resizes and not on the server (i think that's what the issue is with the Gallery at the moment, server-side image resize for the thumbnail generator).

Cheers
Carlo

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Interestingly I discovered that if I hold down the CTRL button on my keyboard while using the scrolling wheel on the mouse I can make the text which disappears off the edge of the frame reappear.

Holding CTRL while scrolling increases or decreases the text size in Firefox; forward for smaller text, backward for bigger.

Strangely the text decides not only to appear when I reduce the text to fit the frame but also when I enlarge it. When enlarging it it wraps around the edge of the frame, like it ought to. Don't know why. Anyway this is a workaround that is easier than changing the monitor resolution.

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
If some of you guys are still having problems then I've found a "fudge" that may help.

If you add "&DontReWrite" to the end of the URL ( page address ) in the address bar in the browser then it will display the thread on it's own without the surrounding template.

It will only work for 1 page, and you manually need to edit it, however you should only need it for a few threads anyway.

Example Without the "Fudge":
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22405

Example With the "Fudge":
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22405&DontReWrite

Hope that helps the few of you that are getting the problem.

Cheers
Carlo

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Ahh wierd!

I see you're running Norton tho.
I think it may have an advert blocker within it that is stopping them displaying.
You should be able to add an exception to it which will enable it to display adverts on BCUK.... if you really want to see them that is :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I don't mind the sponsors being there unless it interferes with the posts. I don't see why they need to be on every page, so why not have them only on the new posts page within the forums, which is where they seem to be causing the most trouble. They will get viewed more than enough as we all use the new posts facility. I can't see aproblem with them anywhere else on the site, it just seems to be the forums.

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
I guess the more impressions the better really.. from and advertisers point of view anyway :)

The only reason there's an issue within the forum area and not the rest of the site, is basically because the forum is a separate piece of software that has had to be integrated into the main site content management system ( a very tricky job, amazed how well it's been done personally ).
Always bugs when you do these kind of things, a pain to resolve in some instances too.
Since if you resolve one issue, it opens up problems in other areas :(
I'm sure it will be sorted at some point tho.

Edit: The wizards Spamel ;)
computer_wizard_lg_nwm.gif

newwizard.bmp

Cheers :)
Carlo

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I'm getting lots of lines across my screen:

I use :

Genuine Windows XP Pro
Firefox 2.0.0.4
1024 x 768

I don't see the adds in firefox, so I'm guess it's adblock that is stopping them.

I've tried IE7 and the ads are there but no lines.

H

Heathenpeddler

Still having problems reading posts here, the centre box for the forum seems to be set at a maximum width and I just can't read the whole post as it's under the ads at the side. It's worst when there's pics in a post but even when I set my monitor to 1024x768 it's still missing parts of the right side of the screen. (Max resolution for my old monitor is 1024x768 and not one I like to run at as it makes stuff too small to read easily) There doesn't even seem to be a way to scroll the screen so I can see the missing parts of the post. To be honest, it has totally ruined my enjoyment of the forums and I've almost stopped visiting due to this problem.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
There doesn't even seem to be a way to scroll the screen so I can see the missing parts of the post. To be honest, it has totally ruined my enjoyment of the forums and I've almost stopped visiting due to this problem.

I get the same problem mate :rolleyes:

The only way I've found round it is to click on some of the post text and then holding the button down drag it to the right as if you were highlighting the text (which in fact you are) and then as you drag it so the page will move over inside the box and you can release your button and click somewhere else to de-hight the text and read the bit you are missing. Then to get back to the next post.....just do the same but drag in the opposite direction! lol :D

Be nice if they sorted the problem out though wouldn't it :p

Cheers,

Bam. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE