sterilizing knife by boiling - handle materials

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I know that the Fallkniven F1 can be boiled in the field to sterilize it (probably for a survival type scenario) as I have read that somewhere, maybe even on their website, can't remember. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

The Fallkniven I have is the satin (uncoated) Thermorun version.

Could I boil a micarta or G10 handled knife too? Example would be the ESEE (formally R.A.T.) 3 or so. Would the handle disintegrate/ change colour or consistency or fall apart/ become unusable?

Cheers for any pointers.

Mike

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I always thought that boiling a blade would ruin the heat treatment of the blade, also I know that epoxy can dissolve in warm/hot water.

I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong though :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I wouldn't recommend it at all as all metal components will expand and then contract and you will lose any epoxy adhering it to the tang. It could also crack and warp depending on conditions.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
does the handle material of the f1 rely more on being moulded to the tang rather than an epoxy adhesive? if so i can see that you could boil an f1, but i wouldn't do so with anything using glues.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Thank you all for your answers!

Ahjno, thanks for the links, informative threads. Now I know how to prolong the time to exchange underwear ;)

I usually only wipe my knifes down with moss and a dedicated washing cloth, or some wet wipes if I have any around. Never had a problem (touch wood).

In a normal bushcraft/ camping situation I'll have a dedicated food prep knife (raw meats and fish), and general purpose knife (non food). I usually don't need a knife for cooked foods as they can be broken up by hand or with my titanium spork :eek:

In a survival type situation you would want to minimise further potential damage to your system by getting diarrhoea or other nasties, and my question also assumes the use of a container suitable to boil water big enough to submerge the knife entirely. Using moss/ sunlight/ or ash/ running water or all the other mentioned possibilities seems a viable option if nothing else is available.

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.
If you use your knife for food preperation or working with meat which has to go into the "food chain" .... such as in a Deer Larder if you stalk Deer .... boiling the knife is a common practise to sterilise the blade for butchery work. For this reason the handles of knives used for this have to be none porous .... it is all part of the Health and Safety requirements for food preperation .... this means handles are often plastic or G10 micarta or Linen Micarta .... the plastic blades are skeleton tanged and only fixed with expoxy as far as I have seen and these survive being boiled out countless times.

If your field knife has wooden handles or any other natural material you can use it for the field Gralloch but in the larder you need to comply with the H&S requirements. I have numerous knives fitted with Linen Micarta which I have used in both settings ... boiling them out has never been a problem ... even wooden or natural horn/antler materials can be boiled out .... they just need some wax putting back into the wood to stop it drying out .... but the benefits of sterilising the blade for food prep are still there.

I use some 40 or so knives like this when needed .... never had a problem .... just look after the grips on natural materials and oil the blade where the tang meets the bolster if it has one and has a hidden tang with natural none toxic oil such as a vegetable oil ... stops any rust issues under the grip ...

The only issue I ever encountered was with an engraved bolster which had a dark painted recess area to enhance the scroll work .... unless you blow out the water from the recesses the painted finish will come away in time .... but not many use a top custom blade with scroll work for these uses .... and if the grips are antler .... don't forget to wax it afterwards and to heat it up gradually to avoid cracking ....don't drop it straight into boiling water .... but I have numerous antler grips and they are still as good as ever if looked after like this.

Boiling a field knife should be "capable" of being done for all field knives .... you just need to look after them afterwards ....

Last edited:

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I would not boil a full tang handled knife, and most stick tang handled knives. I am sure knives similar to the Mora in construction. and materials would be fine. Never tried it myself however so don't blame me if it goes wrong.

All the Best

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.
Well I can only say that my field knives get just as wet as from rain as they do from being sterilised ... the maintenance side of things is the same .... the application of heat to the water is not an issue in terms of temperature as the boiling point is way below a quench temperature .... things to be careful of though are not letting the knife lie on the bottom of the pan where the temperature of the pan may be higher on the points of contact .... and as I said ... you need to be careful with certain handle materials .... but "water" is'nt going to damage the knife if you look after drying and maintaining it afterwards ....

Good examples to look at for this sort of regular exposure to cleaning and "boiling out" are good quality Fillet knives as the Health and Safety side of things is the same there for fish ... Phil Wilson in the States does some great Fillet knives and they often have natural handle materials .... also look at some of the better Chef's knives done by Hattori or Itou of Japan .... again often they use natural materials .... boiling water is not going to have any ill effects if the blades are looked after properly ....

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Most of the time, washing with hot soapy water is as close to sterilizing as makes no difference. Unless you're talking about CJD and prions, which won't be destroyed even by boiling, you probably only wash your kitchen knives after cutting up the poultry, yes? You probably don't make an effort to sterilize them (unless they go in the dishwasher). Water only has to be about 65 degrees Celsius to kill most things, it doesn't have to be boiling, but unless you carry a thermometer you can't really measure the temperature so better safe than sorry. I use tough rubber gloves when washing up so that I can work with much hotter water than I can without the gloves, but it still isn't boiling water. I make an effort to wash the things most likely to be contaminated with bacteria first, i.e. in the hottest water. I pour boiling water straight onto them, wash them, and then wash everything else.

When camping I always have surgical alcohol in my FAK and burning alcohol in my fire kit. If I needed to really sterilize a blade, e.g. for surgery, that's what I'd use. If you're going to cook the food, then by all means wash the blade you use to prepare it but sterilizing it seems like a waste of time and effort as the food isn't sterile until you've cooked it. I mostly use folding knives, and I keep a blade separate for food use. When it's in my pocket, it's wrapped in a clean cloth to keep it clean. I wash it with clean water, but I only make a point of using hot water if I've cut uncooked meat with it, so then I can use it for dessert. I'm a great dessert fan. :)

Size matters. If really necessary, I could take off the scales of my food-use folder and submerge the whole thing in a mug of boiling water. If absolutely necessary I could leave the scales on, but I don't know how they'd react.

I personally would avoid boiling most tools unless the survival of the tool was a secondary consideration.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE