Steel striker (for flint) dating info required.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Hi folks. I picked up this little striker today and was wondering if anyone could help with dating it?

It's quite small and with a magnifying glass I can see marks from the flint. The striking edge is quite round on the striking face in cross section.

Thanks for looking. Hoping it's old!!!:)

022 (644x800).jpg

021 (800x545).jpg

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Made in 1753 by William Thompson at his smiddy at Ballinluig.

Sorry mate just kidding, I'm no expert on these things. Do you have any context as to where it came from? I think that little items like these with no marks would be hard to identify. Though I did watch a program where they managed to identify the remenants of an axe which has been identified as the oldest piece of worked iron found in the U.S. It was part of a salvaged axe head that had originated in Portugal.
The folks in the museum in Dundee may be of help if you pop in and see them. They're a good bunch who helped me out when I lived out your way a whiles back.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Cheers Goatboy.

I'll try McManus Galleries. been helpful in the past. It would just be interesting to see how old it was. It came from an antique shop in Montrose and the guy 'thought' it was Georgian or Victorian!!!

If eh git any info fae the museum eh'll let ye ken.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Mind an' get a peh fae the "Land O" Cakes" in Stobbie while you're throo.
Be good to hear what they say.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i would think it is younger than most of the members of this forum to be honest! The cleanliness of the surfaces suggests that it hasn't corroded at all, so not ancient. There are no lines on the surface suggesting its from a wrought iron base (ie carburised iron to make seel), so not likely to be older than the second world war. Also the shape/size is pretty generic fo modern steels, many of which simulate much older designs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE