Stave makin :) and a bit of tillering.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Nice job on the finishing mate, love the colour & the makers stamp on the handle just tops it off. I have just finished a little boo backed laburnum, I should post some pictures before I sell it. Hope that elbow sorts itself out soon.

That sounds like a lovely combo mate get em posted.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Now that the elbow is starting get in line again its time to get on with the osage stave from ateallthepies, thanks again ;)
So the past few nights I have been removing the bits that dont look like a bow. I am trying to keep as much width as I can as i want a reasonable weight but being a dense wood like osage it should be ok at its max of 1.3/8 inch. Its sixty inches long so is just about long enough for my draw, hopefully.
Very nice wood to work with any tool.

Good early to late ratio.
IMAG3861_zps31532d71.jpg

Odd drying check on the back

IMAG3857_zpse50dc05d.jpg

IMAG3859_zps63fdc6d2.jpg

As much width as I could save

IMAG3858_zpsfc2e10e0.jpg

Very happy to have my elbow starting to work again so been shooting a few arrows from the last static elm i made. Nice to loose a few again. Grouping is starting to come back.

IMAG3840_zps72e0adc8.jpg

Last edited:

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Just scrolled through the thread a bit. You are really skilled! I`ll read the whole thing when I have time. I`ll enjoy that. Thanks for sharing all this.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Few pictures from this eves whittling. Been a while since i managed to get and scrape some wood.

Roughing out a yew longbow and an osage recurve.

IMAG3929_zpsb37d797f.jpg

IMAG3917_zps33656b07.jpg

IMAG3923_zpsed0a462f.jpg

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Oooooòoo nice, have always wanted a osage bow.
Can you pm me your address I have something to send you and sorry it's taken so long to do so.
Cheers fella.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
How you getting on with the take down sleeve also.

Not had a suitable bit of wood to use it yet but I am desperate to get it done. I want something a bit special for it and all the more interesting stuff I have it all long enough to make a full bow. Would be nice to utilise billets of something special lie apple or plum.

Oooooòoo nice, have always wanted a osage bow.
Can you pm me your address I have something to send you and sorry it's taken so long to do so.
Cheers fella.

You can begger orf this ones mine ;)
Will PM you mate and no worries at all, know how busy you have been.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
So the osage bow is getting there. It is complaining but it hast give up yet.

It needs a little attention on the right limb and maybe a little heat treating.
IMAG3948_1_zpsc17e1477.jpg

IMAG3974_zps628be754.jpg

I fancied a few arrows tonight to remind me what these bows do. I shoot very little, less than I should but its the bows that fascinate me more.
Bare in mind that this is a field point designed not to penetrate and the back stop is a hay bale that absorbes most of the force, yet it still has no trouble with four layers of tin. A broadhead or bodkin would be much more efficient. This was with my last 65lb recurve. Nice to be shooting again. Shame the arrow didnt make it but thats the lack of backstop,

IMAG3978_zps99baedce.jpg

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
That is looking sweet:cool:

I always had trouble tillering and knowing when the limbs were looking the same, you seem to be able to get them spot on! Certainly that stave has benefited from the change of ownership and I can't wait for the finished pics!

Also Leon, for your take down bow if your interested I have 2 Hickory pick axe handles that I forgot about? I was gonna splice them but never got round to it. Let me know if these would do for your take-down and if you want pics of the grain/rings?

Steve

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That is looking sweet:cool:

I always had trouble tillering and knowing when the limbs were looking the same, you seem to be able to get them spot on! Certainly that stave has benefited from the change of ownership and I can't wait for the finished pics!

Also Leon, for your take down bow if your interested I have 2 Hickory pick axe handles that I forgot about? I was gonna splice them but never got round to it. Let me know if these would do for your take-down and if you want pics of the grain/rings?

Steve

Thanks to you mate I have a bench full of yellow shavings :) I have tried to keep as much width as possible to keep the follow down but its right on the edge. Just waiting for it to re-hydrate and get at it again.
The hickory does sound good mate but I am hanging out for something special like apple, yew, lab or something a bit different.

Great work.

Cheers mate.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Quick update. Lots of ibuprofen/supports and she is finally shooting. Mid to late 50lbss at 26/27 inches of draw
I hope to get this finished over the Christmas break as a present for ME :) This is a lovely wood to work and should hopefully make a nice bow. Little more shooting in when I can and its time to decide how it should be dressed.

IMAG4023_zpsc3cff44f.jpg

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Had a little Dad time today whilst the boy was at panto with mum.

Managed to get it drawing out.

P8070035_zps392cdc4a.jpg

Just need to add some tip overlays now so I trawled through the bits pile.
Decided on buffalo horn again. I rough cut some overlays rough size and took the belt sander outside to avoid the horrible dust.

IMAG4034_zps309f9acb.jpg

The horn overlays are then expoxied into place and secured with the stuff that binds the universe together, duct tape. Thins strips not too tight helps to get the right compression without starving the joint. I also lightly score the mating surfaces to help the bond.

IMAG4032_zps65e65638.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE