Starting young!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Got a brace of Mallard at the weekend, we intended to keep them out of the sight of one and a bit year old, quack quack, duck mad Chloe in case she got bothered by inert ducks that didn't quack. Well best laid plans and all that, she pottered into the kitchen just as we started plucking them, (thats what comes of leaving elder sisters to play with her :rolleyes: ) climbed up to the table, joined in, then having seen Sarah lop of one of the feet picked up the scissors and tried to do the other! A bushcrafter and true countrywoman in the making me thinks. 6 year old Emily thinks the best rabbit is the one she is helping get ready for the pot, neither of them forced to even be in the room for the prep or see the game as it arrived but can't keep them out!
Cheers
David

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Well done,
My eldest daughter of 11 (rising 21) had her opinions formed during the "Foot & Mouth" crisis, where she regularly witnessed herds of stock being burnt. She can't bear to see anything dead now, though she still eats meat. I owe it to her to form and justify her own opinions. Our youngest though, while not involved yet, I think will be very different.

Ogri the trog

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Know what you mean, our eldest, 10, likes eating meat far more than me and Sarah (somthing like the ducks or other game birds, a bunny or two or a joint of venison for Chrismas dinner appear on an otherwise meat free menu every 2 or 3 months) but dosn't want to know somthing died to put it on her plate.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
My lad (10) helps me sort the pheasants out reguarly.
He's also mad keen to shoot something with his air rifle - he's accurate enough now as I made him practice on paper targets first. He just needs to be in the right place at the right time...

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Buckshot said:
My lad (10) ......mad keen to shoot something with his air rifle - he's accurate enough now as I made him practice on paper targets first. He just needs to be in the right place at the right time...

I'm sure he'll remember his first kill for a long time. Sounds like he's having a pretty good introduction to the shooting game.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Reactions: Buckshot

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
Ogri the trog said:
Well done,
My eldest daughter of 11 (rising 21) had her opinions formed during the "Foot & Mouth" crisis, where she regularly witnessed herds of stock being burnt. She can't bear to see anything dead now, though she still eats meat. I owe it to her to form and justify her own opinions. Our youngest though, while not involved yet, I think will be very different.

Ogri the trog

I think my son was 3 at the time. I remember him seeing some footage on the evening news, a cow with a pole up its back end being fork-lifted into a furnace. He did seem quite disturbed by it at the time. I remember him asking "Why's the cow with a fork-lift up it's bum being put in the fire".

I also remember him helping me pluck a duck when he was 2. Afterwards I was rolling on the kitchen floor laughing while he was pointing at the roasting duck through the glass door, saying, "Look Dad, dead duck. Dead duck in there". He's liked eating duck ever since.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Ogri the trog said:
I'm sure he'll remember his first kill for a long time. Sounds like he's having a pretty good introduction to the shooting game.

ATB

Ogri the trog
Thanks Orgi. I tried to teach him respect for the quarry as well as proper technique.

Mark

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Ogri the trog said:
Without respect, he will have nothing - I'm sure you are doing the right thing.

All the best

Ogri the trog
Well said!
And on the starting young a farmer freind asked yesterday if we'd help him eat the way through the surplus of bunnies and pheasants he expects after a weekend 'tiydying' the fields up a bit, 6 year old asked if she could go hunting for them NOW!

Quite agree, I've always been up-front about the origins of our food and the kids don't really have a problem with that.

But I did manage to put the youngest off my homemade sausages when I told him I was stuffing bits of a pig into his own guts :eek:

I could have probably worded it a bit better :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE