Starting Leatherwork

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Not sure if this is the right area of the forum to be asking this but:

I want to start out leather work and I would really appreciate advice and preferably a list of items I would need to start leather work. I'll tell you what I want and then everyone can suggest the ideal set of tools!

I have: Sharp Stanley knife

I want firstly to be able to make my own axe mask/sheath.

Then I want to move onto knife sheaths for my scandi builds and home builds.

So whatever you think I need to make these things, and then later I plan to move onto

Canvas and leather bag(s)
other bits and pieces like belts, bags, etc.

I can't seem to find advice that suits these needs...

Thanks!!

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
This is what i have......

Awls,stitch groover,stitch marker,hole punch pliers,bone creaser for burnishing/polishing leather,edge beveller,sharp knife,cutting mat.

Various hardware,d rings,eyelets,chicago screws,stitching thread,needles etc

All can be found on ebay or leprivo

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
I might just add I'm on a budget lol. what kind of thread should I use?
also how much do these things/set of stuff cost? I can find things on ebay and leatherworking sites anywhere from £20 a set to £500

All cheap on ebay mate,i got all my tools for less than £25,the hardware varies,i use wax cotton thread but some use artificial sinew.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
My leather working tool kit is quite small, it contains:

• Stanley Knife
  • Scalpel
  • Straight Awl
  • Curved Awl
  • Saddlers Needles
  • Glovers Needles
  • Cutting matt (not leather specific, you could use a scrap of wood, but it certainly helps)
  • Pliers (not leather specific, I just grab whatever I have in the toolbox)
  • Random lump of wood (used underneath the work so I don't cut myself)

I have used cheap awls from le prevo, but concluded they were next to useless, so had a nice set made by the user "Everything Mac" on this forum, they have
been a joy to work with.

I got the needles from Le prevo, along with the artificial sinew and waxed linen thread that I use. You need to remember that needles are a consumable, I broke a dozen saddlers needles making a single pair of shoes. But, at £1.23 for 25, that's not a major hardship...

The above list did me for several years before I then treated myself to a stitching wheel, which I use to mark out even stitch lengths.

Hth

Julia

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE