starter kit

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Right, a bit of a long winded question here but please bear with me;

I've been a great lover of the outdoors for a long time now (17 years or more) I've been learning bits and pieces along the way and I'd be quite contempt to spend a few days living off what I can find and at most times of the year. I'm an experienced camper, though there's always more to learn. But I've never really strayed away from proper campsites.

Which is what I'd like to do now - get away from everything for a night or two, I'd also like to join in with some of the events etc which you guys run.

What I want is somewhere to sleep and a knife, I've got plenty of other kit already but this also brings questions;

Ok, sleeping to start with. I've got an ex-army shelter which I think would do to go over a hammock but may be a bit small, I've not used it for a long time but I'd guess it's about 5' by 7' at the most. but it's tough if a little heavy.

Obviously, I'd also need a hammock really. Now, I know it makes sense to get one that'll last but money's tight and frankly it may well get damaged with my inexperience of using them - anyone see any problems with getting a cheap one to start with (seen some for under a tenner). What about mossie nets?

Next comes the knife, I've got plenty that'll do the job but I like the frost's and they look like they'd be easier to sharpen than most of mine. I know the clipper seems to be the more popular knife but what are it's advantages over the others and what do all the numbers mean?

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Hammock and tarp wise - DD are a good price and you may just catch the end off the group buy on here, being run by Sandbag47 (thanks SB!) making it even cheaper!

Avoid the net hammocks - they are just plain uncomfortable to sleep in - but handy as off ground storage for gear.

Alternatives to hammocks could include a bivvy bag. MOD issue goretex one are cheap as chips on Evilbay.

Can't answer about the numbers but I have a Clipper & a Mora that I use for teaching knife use to my kids and the Scouts. Both are good knives IMHO.

HTH

Simon

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi there, there is another thread covering your question, its in Bushcraft chatter, titled kit buying, hope this helps

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Thankyou both, probem is - the DD's a bit expensive for me really.

I'd be pretty happy with a nice, simple, basic, cheap hammock to start with, as long as it'll last long enough for me to see if over-nighting's for me or not. Hopefuly the tarp I've got will be big enough.

Richard, (you share my name and I lived in cwmbran for 6yrs!) the other thread's similar but thanks for your help here too. The discussion on there seems to have turned into a debate about tent vs hammock - I've got a tent but I prefer to spend most of my "bushcrafty" time in woodland so a hammock has distinct advantages.

What's the difference between the mora and the clipper?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Hi, novembeRain... Firstly, if you already have a shelter and have used it before, how comes you're looking specifically for a hammock? Most of the people I know are actually ground dwellers and quite happy there.

My advice would be to buy one that's really cheap and get a feel for them... there are lots of things to get used to like coping with a slippery therm-a-rest or kip mat while in the hammock. Also, as you say, a larger tarp would be needed.

Initially if you're really concerned with mossies, perhaps just get a headnet for sleeping in... it's not going to be as comfortable or as bling as a full hammock one but it'll be effective enough and useful when you're not sleeping also... I have this one and it's great for walking through wetlands, sleeping, collecting berries or washing clothes in rivers... http://www.wildtrak.com/product.asp?id=116

As for a knife... you really can't go wrong with a clipper http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/...arbon-clipper-knife-with-black-red-handle.htm I was given one on the first ever course I went on and it's SO hard to justify spending £200+ on a knife when you can get such a compitent knife for under a tenner!

If you're hell bent on a hammock, I would personally get at least a 3m x 3m tarp (tatonka are good... there are a million options though) and while I have a few different hammocks, I hear that the DD ones are alright for the money (dunno if the webbing still stretches or not). http://www.ddhammocks.com/products.php seems they do one for £24 which isn't too bad.

I hope this helps.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
nice one squidders.

The thinking behind a hammock is I may have difficulty finding somewhere to pitch a tent in woodland (I'd preffer woodlant to start with at least) and I'd like to give it a go.

The cheap DD's a netting one, which apparently aren't very comfortable, plain nylon ones seem to be hard to find for a good price - considering it may only get used once!

as for the knife, I'm more than happy to get a frosts but there's a lot of different models, the clipper seems to be popular but there are others and I don't know what the differences are?

Thanks again!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I've had an Amazonas Moskito Traveller Hammock and it wasn't too uncomfortable... spent probably 2 weeks total in it over the period of 6 months... so it's a cheaply made hammock and they didn't spend a long time making it comfortable but it's way cheaper than a hennessy hammock!

I did check out one of these in the shop: http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/catalog/browse/sleeping-mats-hammocks/travelproof-tropical-hammock and it seemed to be ok... it is a very budget solution though so I wouldn't expect years of faithful service from it for twenty quid.

My view is that your sleeping arrangements, if you're taking them with you are just for camping... bushcraft is what you do while you're there. With this in mind, I never really consider one shelter more shrafty than another.

As for the knives, I don't have any idea of the numbers either... mora clipper or whatever, you can't really go far wrong.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I would stick to the ground until you have a little more cash for a good hammock. I have the Mk hammock i think it was just shy of £30 ish delivered and its worth every penny. I would avoid just grabbing a cheap one for now as they can be too small, uncomfortable, some even dangerous. Your existing tarp combined with an ex MOD gortex bivvy will do you fine ;)

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
ah, had another look into things. £30's not too bad. What's so special about the DD? doesn't the cover get on your nerves? I can see it would keep the elements and bugs out and the warmth in but doesn't it get clostrophobic in there? In the summer, can you lay it flat and just lay on top of it like a traditional hammock?

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
look it up on U tube. Pablo (of this parish) does some good revies - DD hammock and tarp included.

HTH

Simon

Had a quick look, the travel hammock's a bit more than I can manage really, any comments? Looks to me like the camping hammock's got a waterproof cover and the travel's got both that and a mossie net, it doesn't bother me that, with a camping hammock, I'd only get the waterproof cover really, especially this time of year but I'm interested what you guys think.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Woulsnt you be better off with a tent which you can get for a couple of quid from a car boot?

(if you dont get given one...)

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
tengu, i've got tents and have camped every year since before I could walk, believe it or not!

It's time for a change and, seeing as most of my bushcraft time is spent in woodland, a hammock makes sense. I don't want to spend too much because, quite frankly, I might hate it and only ever use it once! or because I've never used one before, I might end up damaging it! :red:

So, to me, the DD camping hammock looks good and is within the price I'm willing to stretch to. But I'd like some opinions from you guys and I'm concerned about feeling like I'm in a body bag! :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE