Started my first leather flask..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scoffham

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2009
Cumbria
Hey all,

Just thought i'd post some pictures of the flask i made this afternoon, having never done one before I found Erics posts to be very useful.. so thankyou Eric! I'm currently at the drying stage. Not having any barley to hand I decided to pack the flask with carrier bags, which I'm really hoping won't be an absolute b*$t@-d to remove!

2bci02.jpg

2hs422h.jpg

On a different note... how long does leather dye stain skin for??

2j11ypv.jpg

Scoffham

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2009
Cumbria
I did wear gloves when dyeing.. just not when packing... such a big mistake! I'm working with 25ish 16-17 year olds next week that'll love mocking my orange hand!

Quick update, the carrier bags were quite easy to remove (took 15 minutes), and did allow a lot of 'packing' into the flask, giving it a nice shape. When wetting the flask, I tested its capacity and found it to be 2 litres, which is exactly what i'm looking for... very pleased so far...

now i'm off to a bunch of beehives to liberate some wax...

Scoffham

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2009
Cumbria
After phoning my bee keeping friend, turns out i'm not going to get anyway near the amount of wax i was looking for... Can anyone reccomend a supplier of beeswax in the north of the country (UK) for a largish quantity of beeswax? The local hardware store sells it for £7 for 200g which is going to get a bit expensive!

Scoffham

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2009
Cumbria
Cheers Craven, the planning, cutting, stitching, dyeing and packing took me about 3-4 hours in total... The most time went towards stitching as I like to get each stitch individually tightened.

Cheers as well Opal, much appreciated. I actually drilled holes this morning, once the leather had dried, ready for a nice bit of leather thonging.

I've now finished the flask, managed to make do with the 200g of wax I had, using the oven method (actually had a 1/3 of the wax left over). The waxing took about an hour, as it took 30 minutes for the wax to melt! The flask now has a capacity of 1.8litres.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow once I have made a wooden Bung, and brought some more leather thonging, as I have run out.

Lastly just want to thank Eric for the inspiration and tutorials.

Scoff

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
beautiful piece of work mate ! quick question , after you have filled the flask with sand and soaked it to stretch it to shape , how do you get all the sand out when youve finished , before waxing ?.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
beautiful piece of work mate ! quick question , after you have filled the flask with sand and soaked it to stretch it to shape , how do you get all the sand out when youve finished , before waxing ?.

He used carrier bags rather then the grain that Eric suggested/uses

Sand must be a total pig to remove, barley is supposed to be easier, but I think I'll have a go with bags if they're that simple to remove

For beeswax etc I've used these people before
www.candlemaker.org.uk

They do stuff for living history crafters and re-enactors

Oh, and the dye stains the top layer of your skin so it'll have to wear off...you can speed it up some if you use a pumice.........or you could apply fake tan all over and pretend to be Dale Winton :D

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
That looks gorgeous, very nice work!

Maybe you can get the dye of bij "washing" your hands in wet mortar, if you happen to have any. It used to work when I had marker all over my hands - mind you, I was 10.

PS: It does hurt a little.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I did wear gloves when dyeing.. just not when packing... such a big mistake! I'm working with 25ish 16-17 year olds next week that'll love mocking my orange hand!

Just tell them that you know David Dickinson and you were giving him a back rub.

Scoffham

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2009
Cumbria
Cheers for all of your very kind comments. Luckily my hands have become a more normal colour, as the orange slowly wears off! Might just escape the mocking tomorrow!

Dr Jones, as already mentioned I used carrier bags to expand the flask. I had a long think about what to use, and although not a traditional method, proved to be very good.

1)Pushing, then packed them in using a blunt wooden rod. I used a large carrier bag full of carrier bags (if that makes sense).
2)After leaving the leather to dry overnight I removed the carrier bags using some 4mm brass rod, with a bent hook on the end- and some needle nosed pliers when things got tight.

Just spent the last 20 minutes carving a stopper. I'm having problems getting a good seal between the wooden stopper and the bottle neck; unfortunatly it leaks where the 2 pieces of leather join. I've tried adding extra wax to create a better seal (made a small mess as you can see in the picture below)... I'm thinking I might try and create a leather ring to act like a rubber O ring.

ojee6s.jpg

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Scofhfam it sounds like you are stretching the seam when you are inserting the stopper(woooo Matron), a wooden sleeve waxed or glued into position inside the neck might work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE