My first knife, a bog oak and Karesuando mix!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
So, having seen some simply amazing knives posted up here on Bushcraft I decided to have a go myself. I've never made anything like this before, and I'd welcome any constructive criticism and general feedback

I brought a 10cm Stainless Steel Karesuando kit, but made such a mess of the included curly birch block that I needed a new one:eek: ! Having lost the battle with that I decided to get my hands on some Bog Oak from the Fens and got stuck in:)

The nice bit of Bog Oak:
20130531_100055.jpg

In progress:
20130531_110929.jpg20130531_165440.jpg20130601_152348.jpg

The finished knife.
2013-06-19 11.47.30.jpg2013-06-19 11.47.46.jpg2013-06-19 11.47.17.jpg

If I was to make the same knife again, I'd invest in a much larger clamp to keep everything square and in line when drying, as it is I've managed to make the handle a few degrees off being aligned to the blade. I think I'd ditch the antler spacer too and just use bog oak all the way, possibly with another leather spacer. Next step is the sheath!

All in all, for my first attempt, I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out.

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Very nice for a first knife. If that bolster is antler I would refrain from putting any kind of oil on it, as it could turn it yellow. I always treat the wood with a 50 50 mix of linseedoil and turpentine, but there are many other options as well.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
very nice . I agree with Niels but I don't use turps just linseed oil. I wipe it on with a smooth cloth as fibres will stick to your work

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Agreed my first efforts are rubbish in comparison . I look forward seeing more knives in the future.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think that's a fine knife indeed, well done! All my projects that require oil now get Walnut oil as a matter of course; no chemicals, dries nicely and protects well, no clean-up, great on leather too, smells good and won't yellow anything.................and it's cheap as chips and available in most supermarkets; what's not to like?..................atb mac

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Thank you all for the kind comments :) I've seen the work a number of you have made yourselves so it's especially good to hear such encouraging feedback from you.

I didn't know linseed oil can turn antler yellow, so thanks for saving my knife there! :) I'll investigate some Walnut oil when payday swings around and see where that takes me.

I've been well and truly bitten (or should that be cut?!) by the knife making bug! I'll have a stab at an enzo necker as the next project and use some more of the bog oak up.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think you should be well pleased - I've still got the first one I did and it'll always be special....................atb mac

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Great work. I hope to make one like this very soon and I'll be very happy to achive such result. Can you tell me the size of the boag oak you used?

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Great work. I hope to make one like this very soon and I'll be very happy to achive such result. Can you tell me the size of the boag oak you used?
Thank you for the kind comments. I used a 41*41mm square section that was off a much longer half metre bar. Fair bit of shaping involved which took ages tho. Its hard stuff to work by hand.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE