Started my first leather flask..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
This may seem like a really stupid question, but why us beeswax?
I am presuming as a waterproofing so are there alternatives that could be used but might be less authentic?
The flask looks great and id love to have a go but am baulking at the apparant costs of the wax.
Above mentions the cooker method for beeswax as its more efficient- any more detail on this or the amount needed?

It does look the been knees though dont it!

Scoffham

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2009
Cumbria
Hey there,

Firstly here is a link to another forum where Eric kindly donated a tutorial, I found this useful, so you might too.

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/2016/t/Making-a-leather-drinking-flask-brief-tutorial.html

There is further information on this forum that I found using the search engine.. but cant seem to find it again!

I managed to complete the flask with less than 200g of beeswax, melting it in a boiling water bath... I suppose there might be modern substances more resiliant for the task (i.e can contain hotter fluids.. but none that is so easily worked and food safe, it also really toughens up the leather... my flask is now as hard as wood.

My wax, for this flask I found at a local hardware store for less than £7 for 200g.. this is expensive, but convenient. I'm currently about to clean some beehives for a friend in return for the wax, so if you managed to find a beekeeping friend it could be a good source of wax!

I seem to remember a good website for buying bee products, where I could buy 1.5kg of wax for around £16, I didnt at the time, but wish I did now... unfortunatly the link escapes me.. but i'll have a think and get back to you.

Hope this helps..

Scoff

Javapuntnl

Need to contact Admin...
May 2, 2009
Mansfield MA USA
Hello Scoff,

Thank you so much for your post and link to Erics tutorial. I just finished my first flask and I'm quite pleased with the result (although i feel I there is lots of room for improvement...). After reading your post I got this uncontrollable urge to have a go at it myself and so I did. Loved! the whole process, fantastic! Also it seems there are quite few paths to explore here.
Question; did you die the leather before the soaking or after? I died the leather before the soaking but found most of the coloration lightened while soaking (what actually improved the final look...). Also, do you find the single sowing seem to be sufficient, is it watertight?
Again, thanks for the inspiration. I'm not entirely sure how it fits in with bushcraft but it sure put the Ray on my Mears...

I made this flask for my daughter, Sophia (6 and a half)

DSCF5359.jpg

DSCF5362.jpg

p.s. I'll post this on Erics tutorial as well.

Jacob V.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Just spent the last 20 minutes carving a stopper. I'm having problems getting a good seal between the wooden stopper and the bottle neck; unfortunatly it leaks where the 2 pieces of leather join. I've tried adding extra wax to create a better seal (made a small mess as you can see in the picture below)... I'm thinking I might try and create a leather ring to act like a rubber O ring.

I think that is why Eric usually uses a welt to give a rounder opening. I love the plaggy bag idea although it might get expensive if the gov and supermarket get there way and stop the free bags ;)

Lovely work.

Scoffham

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2009
Cumbria
Really nice work Jacob, I love the design on the side of the flask- you've done a fantastic job there!

I did indeed dye the leather before soaking, and as you did, ans I also feel it gives the flask a good look once its stretched. I found a single sewn layer to be sufficient, although i do stitch back over the single line twice, I have found this method produces a very water tight container, without the need for an extra layer, once waxed.

Hey Cuckow, Just last night I made a leather hip flask with a welt to solve the stopper issue, along with another without a welt to see if I can do a better job of molding a stopper without one- They are still drying, so it will be a while until I see if I have succeeded.

As far as the shopping bags are concerned, I have a large bag packed full of carriers that I'm using over and over again for flasks, so technically I suppose im recycling, but I dont think it will be too long now before they are heavy restricted/banned. I've just had a friend come back from Oz, who imforms me that carrier bags aren't used out there anymore.

Andywinkk- Once the stitching is finished, soak the leather inside and out, and I then pack the container out, by stuffing it with carrier bags that stretches the leather. This may also be done with sand, barley, ball bearings, plastic pellets etc etc- the list goes on. Once dry, the carrier bags are removed using long nosed pliers and a hooked rod. Hope this helps...

Scoff

craven

Forager
Jan 13, 2008
devon
just a quick question, tell me if i'm being thick, isn't leather dye poisonous? well the stuff i got is, will it not soak through to the liquid in the flask?:confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE