Started a spalted birch burl carving knife handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Hello got a big spalted birch burl for free, it had been outside for 1 year. Thought I would do some knife/tool handles of it :). It was hard to handsaw in half, then I used an axe so it could fit under the band saw an then it was easy. You never know how the wood gonna look like :).

2e5ulnn.jpg

i2prte.jpg

Snapped the end of the tang with some pliers, I'm sure it will hold for me.

2pyz4fb.jpg

xegz9j.jpg

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I hope it works out ok for you. I had a similar piece from my parents garden. Even after some drying and soaking in some wood hardener, it was still your soft to use for knife handles.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Made some progress. I cut out many handle blanks but some have cracked. Some pieces are very tricky to dry! I have them wrapped in cloth.

2ppj5ol.jpg

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
looking good. I've had the softness/splitting problem with spalted birch burl and root before. some areas always seem to be borderline between spalted and punky. it can be quite annoying when you discover a bit after epoxying the whole thing together with fancy spacers!:rolleyes:

keep up the good work!

atb
Ste

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Progress! Ugly shape at the front but it will be a working knife :D. I'm happy first knife in this style for years.
dd01oo.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE