Starling display over Gretna

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
When I was returning back to Yorkshire after a canoe trip a few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to witness something I've wanted to see for years.
As I was trundling down the M74 just by Gretna I noticed a black shimmer in the sky out of the left corner of my windscreen. Luckily I was just coming up to the next junction so I pulled off and stopped down at the roundabout. Getting out I looked up to the almost dark sky and saw what must have been at least seven or eight hundred Starlings doing their dance.
I stood and watched as they did big darting loops around the fields next to where I was, further away I could just make out smaller flocks coming in from all directions to join in the party. They seemed to just melt into the formation and instantly pick up on the new directions as the mass twisted and turned up above.
Annoyingly I'd forgotten to pick up my batteries so had no pics of the snow on Loch Lomond or any footage of what I witnessed.

I never realised they were doing this country wide, every time I've seen it on the box it always seems to be down in Norfolk somewhere.

I'll be keeping an eye out next time I'm passing that way and sunset and I'll make sure I've got batteries with me too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_9175000/9175793.stm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BurP-Oizses

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
It's a sight to behold eh? I've seen it over the Somerset Levels way and it amazes me how they manage to have such fluid movement without colliding into each other.
What I'd like to know is, which is the one bird that starts the whole move off for the others to follow?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Gretna is known for it Tam ? The area where I was looked like arable land (although dusted in snow) but I suppose there are some reed beds over near the sea

Aye,
It's been on the go for a couple of years now that I know of.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I had the misfortune once to be outside in a field with a large flock of starlings doing that overhead. I tell you, there must be something about the acrobatics that loosen the birds' bowels, because it sounded like it was raining. my friend and I were certainly not looking up to behold the sight ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
In the sixties and seventies there were so many starlings in Glasgow that it was impossible to even hear the traffic over their racket. They blackened the skies, and folks were very much pro taking drastic action to reduce their numbers.
All I mind as a child was delighting in watching them swirl in the sky like a feathery shoal :D, and playing with the word, their collective noun, a mumuration of starlings :D

http://news.scotsman.com/south/In-pictures-Synchronised-starlings-over.6599154.jp
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/natureuk/2010/11/a-very-british-spectacle.shtml

cheers,
Toddy

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
There was a largeish number (probably a few hundred) doing their roosting aerobatic display in Ayr town centre just at the end of the summer. Every night around 4 o'clock they started gathering and performing their ballet before dropping down into I think the College area. We would just be having coffee at the office and I would make an effort to take a break just at that time. It was amazing to watch and from a distance it was like smoke swirling in the breeze, a wonderful spectacle to behold nearing the end of a very busy day in the office.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
we get that every night here in Belfast, you can watch the smaller flocks coming in from afar to join the HUGE flock and the display is quite stunning,... like fish in the sea, swirling in formation before roosting, goes on for about 15 minutes....wonderful sight.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Amazing sight. I was hoping to catch the show yesterday on my way up the road but was just a little late.

Last year when I stopped at the wee row of cottages coming out of the green the folk who lived there were out leaning against their wall. Said it never got old. :)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
We used to get them at work until they were eventuall y scared away with much effort. We still have wheat cropping up is some places after more than ten years. They used to make a awful mess and quite unsanitary it was too.

Amazing to watch but the stink where I work was disgusting :yuck:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I used to see the starlings at Gretna quite often whe I was traveling home from Chapelcross, an amazing sight. As has been said about the mess though, I'm glad that I was in a car at the time.

Cheers, Michael.

siman

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2010
Blackpool, UK
Used to do it a lot over the sea here before they used to roost under North Pier. Don't do it these days though, council used to go under the pier and play a call of some hawk bird or something and they don't really come back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE