Starbucks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Funny isn't it, the things we don't think are "stealing" even though they are. Be it a music or video download. A bog roll, or a handful of sugar sachets. If we're to take the moral high ground then maybe we shouldn't be taking advantage either?

Think your assuming a bit there mate, I don't do any of those things - even handed in £100 I found hanging out of a cash point once.

I'm a great believer in Karma, I'm also a believer in paying your way and giving back whats due

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Think your assuming a bit there mate, I don't do any of those things - even handed in £100 I found hanging out of a cash point once.

I'm a great believer in Karma, I'm also a believer in paying your way and giving back whats due

...but there are plenty on here who actively promote finding things without asking. Skip diving being a prime example.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

When I said "we" I did mean society. Sweeping generalisation I know.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That ain't starbuck,
This is Starbuck:

Kara_Thrace.jpg

And always will be :)

Nah. That's the imposter. Just as the show was. I stopped watching after the second episode.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
isn't it easier to take tea towork/leasuire in a flask?.. or have I missed the strnage attraction these place seem to have?

I'm mostly with you on this one. But coffee houses as such (individually owned ones) were often popular meeting places in the early to m id 20th century. Particularly popular with authors and poets back then. Nowadays I think it's largely due to these five reasons:
1. The varied menu they offer
2. The free internet service
3. It's a safe, public place to meet strangers for the firt time (I have a female friend who does this when on a first date with someone she met on the internet dating services)
4. Beacuse of item #2 and the comfortable furnitue/decor, it's a great "home" office if you need to meet a client on a casual work basis.
5. Most importantly, I believe it's the marketing.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Kinda related, Costa at MOTO services give you 20% off on production of an AA membership card.

Know what you mean about the pretensiousness from having a "barista" confirm my order for a large milky coffee to take out, and please make it hot as

"so sir wants a massimo latte, extra hot, to go?"

Aye pet, whatever just diven't make it luke warm eh?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Kinda related, Costa at MOTO services give you 20% off on production of an AA membership card.

Know what you mean about the pretensiousness from having a "barista" confirm my order for a large milky coffee to take out, and please make it hot as

"so sir wants a massimo latte, extra hot, to go?"

Aye pet, whatever just diven't make it luke warm eh?

Mess with his mind; tell him you want a Cafe au Laight with Beinets (pronounced "ben-yays") and make sure it's chickoried.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
on a slightly bushcrafty note, when I frequent mass market coffee places [which isnt very often] I procure as much of thier sachets of salt, sugar, sauces etc as I can do without looking too cheeky. I have knitted a hat with maccy D stirrers , I used to steal their loo paper when i was student, so just taking the odd bit of sugar and some bits of wood is an improvement I suppose.

Also another thing in those places is that I ask for a black coffee, when the staff reply with " do you want an amaricano frappie esspresso with a flake or what ever nonsense they say, i say No I want a black coffee. I lothe the imposition of a fake culture, I don't live in new york, and i would be happier getting a cup of hot stuff from a roadside van, being served by a bloke that doesn't need to be told a corp script. I dont nick stuff off road side vans either.

Shame on you.. ;)
Mac Donnalds is just as good as is burger king for sale, pepper, sugar, sauces. :)

I have missed my cafe direct cup since it failed after 5 years of service, daily at home and every woods trip.
Must buy another soon,

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Mess with his mind; tell him you want a Cafe au Laight with Beinets (pronounced "ben-yays") and make sure it's chickoried.

A la Cafe du monde, New Orleans?

http://voices.yahoo.com/chicory-coffee-beignets-review-orleans-3251167.html

I only set foot in coffee shops when on the road at petrol stations, I genrally prefer a truck stop, bikers type cafe, or burger van if I can find one.

Tried chicory coffee once, it was called "camp coffe" and came as a liquid in a bottle, from what I remember it was pretty disgusting.

Last edited:

xylaria

...but there are plenty on here who actively promote finding things without asking. Skip diving being a prime example.

I am not adversed to a bit of skip diving. I have handed in to a police station a £200 envelope of money marked holiday, I have run after people after dropping a tenner. I think supermarkets wasting loads of perfectly edible food is immoral, I think large companies scabbing a tax bill, when countries are cutting frontline services due to a serious recession is immoral, and making a few thousand minium wage jobs is not a good enough excuse. I can't dodge my tax, and I have volunteered to pay national insurance even though i earn below the threashold, in part because I think it is right to pay it. I dont think anyone else should dodge their dues. I get irrated by big companies that really dont treat the people that work for them or smaller companies well.

Last edited:

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I am not adversed to a bit of skip diving. I have handed in to a police station a £200 envelope of money marked holiday, I have run after people after dropping a tenner. I think supermarkets wasting loads of perfectly edible food is immoral, I think large companies scabbing a tax bill, when countries are cutting frontline services due to a serious recession is immoral, and making a few thousand minium wage jobs is not a good enough excuse. I can't dodge my tax, and I have volunteered to pay national insurance even though i earn below the threashold, in part because I think it is right to pay it. I think anyone else should dodge their dues. I get irrated by big companies that really dont treat the people that work for them or smaller companies well.

Quite right and well said.

So which laws (and morals) is it okay to ignore? My brother in law owns a large (ish) chain of bakery/coffee shops in East Anglia and the Mids. Both he and my sister in law regularly work on the shop floor and when they challenge people stealing the coffee stirrers, milk, sugar etc a common reply is "Don't worry luv, no-one will know, they can afford it".

How about a 50p on the floor. Would you hand that in? What about £5 found on the floor with no-one in sight? £10? £50, £10k?! What's the difference?- None.

Would you (try to) take stuff out of the skip at a recycling centre without asking? No? Why not, it's EXACTLY the same thing.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I am not adversed to a bit of skip diving. I have handed in to a police station a £200 envelope of money marked holiday, I have run after people after dropping a tenner. I think supermarkets wasting loads of perfectly edible food is immoral, I think large companies scabbing a tax bill, when countries are cutting frontline services due to a serious recession is immoral, and making a few thousand minium wage jobs is not a good enough excuse. I can't dodge my tax, and I have volunteered to pay national insurance even though i earn below the threashold, in part because I think it is right to pay it. I dont think anyone else should dodge their dues. I get irrated by big companies that really dont treat the people that work for them or smaller companies well.

So you think you should pay twice the amount of tax the tax laws say you should? No? So that makes you a tax scab, by your own definition....

Shame on you:)

And in my professional experience, large companies treat their staff better than small companies do, on the whole, and there is no doubt that multinationals provide the best salaries and benefits in developing countries. However, I have only worked on six continents, so can't confirm that this is also true in Antarctica!

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
So you think you should pay twice the amount of tax the tax laws say you should? No? So that makes you a tax scab, by your own definition....

Shame on you:)

And in my professional experience, large companies treat their staff better than small companies do, on the whole, and there is no doubt that multinationals provide the best salaries and benefits in developing countries. However, I have only worked on six continents, so can't confirm that this is also true in Antarctica!

Hi Andy, hope all is well with you. We are in danger of agreeing here (mild shock;)), as my OH has work for British Antarctic Survey and bears out your comments re the continents, including Antarctica. :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
  1. A la Cafe du monde, New Orleans?

http://voices.yahoo.com/chicory-coffee-beignets-review-orleans-3251167.html

I only set foot in coffee shops when on the road at petrol stations, I genrally prefer a truck stop, bikers type cafe, or burger van if I can find one.

Tried chicory coffee once, it was called "camp coffe" and came as a liquid in a bottle, from what I remember it was pretty disgusting.

Cafe du Monde is the most famous but you can get it in every coffee shop and C-store in new Orleans.

Chickory coffee is usually made by grinding the chickory and mixing with the coffe grounds before brewing. We can also buy certain brands of coffee with the chickory added and brew out own. Here's one sample: www.nextag.com/community-coffee-chicory/compare-html

If you've had Cafe au Laight at Cafe Du Monde (or almost ANY coffee ANYWHERE in New Orleans, it had chickory. It's pretty much the only way they drink it. It gives a nice bite to the coffee. It's not for everybody but it's my favorite, especially with a good dark roast.

"Camp Coffee" is basicly another name for "Cowboy Coffee" or coffee that's brewed by simply dropping loose groungs into the heated or boiling water; usually over a campfire.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE