Star Wars.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Please avoid spoilers for those that haven’t seen it.

Whilst the latest film isn’t a disaster like the prequels I just wish they would get people that can actually fight with stick weapons and swords.

The fight scenes in this movie are some of the worst I have ever seen.

Closer to the princess bride than Jedi masters.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Haven't seen it yet, I think I'll wait a bit and watch at home. I watched The Force Awakens last night and was a little less than my usual "meh" as I am with most of the franchise, I quite enjoyed the feelgood romp. I liked Rogue One too, new faces, and a nice addition to the series.

I know what you mean about the fight scenes, the dual ended lightsabre used by Darth Maul in whichever forgettable episode it was had me a bit worried for the dark lord at times.:blackalien:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Um, what was the Princess Bride about? I did watch it, but did not comprehend.

SW is about The Heroes Journey and the Greek plays...I do understand that.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
If you are old enough to remember these...
garfield_stuck-on-you-doll_car-recadre-300x298.jpg

you're going to love Porgs

As for the rest of the movie, I'll have a shot of retcon and a pint of mind bleach please.
Which is a shame because I liked Rogue One and thought the franchise had a future, now I'm less sure.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
When I was a young teenager I loved SW.
Watching them again, and the newer movies, as an adult, I realize how bad movies they in fact all are.

Yeah, I will watch this latest one, no doubt I will tell my son (coming with me) what a waste of money and time it was, just like the last two I saw with him......

Reactions: crosslandkelly

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
When I was a young teenager I loved SW. ......

When I was a young teenager I had to wait 6 or 7 years for the first one to debut. When it did come to theaters it was great because it was the first time in over 20 years that anybody had made a true adventure movie in any genre. It wonderfully combined Old West gunfights, WWII aerial dogfights, medieval chivalry, and an oriental concept of Ki all into a single culture.

After that they went downhill. They had simply set the bar too high to continue.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, SW is certainly genre breaking. Just look at the Clone Wars cartoon series. (But not, interestingly, the Rebels cartoon.)

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I remember the first SW movies. Best ever cowboy movies. Pure entertainment.
Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, The Lone Ranger & Tonto, Cisco Kid, they got the bench.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Everyone of my mates bar one has who have gone and watched the new SW movie have said it is utter rubbish.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Well, I was actually entertained - maybe not brilliant but entertaining. I never have liked Hamill's acting, not even in the very first ones but he is very bad in this :)
It's also 20 minutes too long.
But maybe I'm easily entertained; I laughed all the way through the Lone Ranger :)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I do not understand what happened to the old evil Empire, and how this New Order came to exist

Plus, the Resistance seems to never be happy with any government?

I find Star Wars to be more and more confusing!

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Most of the fencing the Princess Bride is pretty good. None of this stupid spinning around stuff or twirling your sword and the parries are executed correctly.

A duel with real light sabres would look pretty much like a modern sabre duel, I think (technique-wise).

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Which brings the question - why would they use the sabres?
They have excellent pistols.

It is like that scene from one of the Indiana Jones movies: The baddie takes out his whip, and does a demonstration of his superior whipping skills. Indiana takes out his gun and shoots him.

Another one: There has not been much tech development over the 50+ years the Star Wars saga has run. Same guns, same fighting vehicles, both planes and space.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE