Star Petrol packaging box survival kit project, help needed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Hello chaps, I have just picked up 3 star petrol lighters in metal packaging boxes in a deal, 3 for £8/£2.66 each.

I'm ranger banding the star lighters fixing a lanyard from paracord.

The metal boxes are going to be used as survival tins that arn't too bulky for a pocket, being reasonable thin. I don't know the measurements as havnt arrived yet, but will update once measured.

I'm really asking for your advice and suggestions what to put in as kit for these survival boxes/tins.

It's a project for bushcraft uk members and I hope we can enjoy it.

Yes, we can Start with the basics and take it from there. I would like to think outside the box on this one, excuse the pun. :)

So any interesting or unusual ideas are very welcome.

I hope you can enjoy and help this project.

Thanks, Alex.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Firstly for an idea I'm thinking about making a net bag for the tin out of one length of paracord so the lid doesn't pop off and to help non-slip it from the hand. Then if needed the paracord can be used in an emergancy.

That's my first idea. Contents of the box will have to fit inside the diameters of the box's area.

Cheers.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Hello chaps, I have just picked up 3 star petrol lighters in small metal packaging boxes in a deal, 3 for £8/£2.66 each.

I'm ranger banding the star lighters fixing a lanyard from paracord.

The metal boxes are going to be used as survival tins that arn't too bulky for a pocket, being reasonable thin. I don't know the measurements as havnt arrived yet, but will update once measured.

Below is a picture of the boxes that come with the star lighters.

DtmoocH.jpg

I'm really asking for your advice and suggestions what to put in as kit for these miniature survival boxes/tins.

It's a project for bushcraft uk members and I hope we can enjoy it.

Yes, we can Start with the basics and take it from there. I would like to think outside the box on this one, excuse the pun. :)

So any interesting or unusual ideas are very welcome.

I hope you can enjoy and help this project.

Thanks, Alex.

Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
My first idea is making a well fitting tied/woven net bag for the tin out of one length of paracord 550, this would stop the lid from popping off and losing the kit and also being a supply of paracord to be used in an emergancy or survival situation. Cordage/fishing line, fishing lures etc.

So I hope that may start the ball rolling. :)

Last edited:

Bowlin

Nov 19, 2013
Luton, Bedfordshire
Or, you could cut an inch wide section of bicycle tyre inner-tube, put this around the box/ lid (like a broad elastic band).

This would not only keep the lid on the box but is also a useful source of fire-lighting material, even when it is wet/ raining the inner-tube will take a flame/ light.

Just an alternative suggestion.

Cheers
Steve

veryWildbill

Nomad
Aug 15, 2010
west sussex
Assuming your survival tin is for UK use the most useful things I can think of to put in it would be.
Spare fully charged phone battery and about £100 in cash. That should cover most eventuality's.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Great ideas chaps, :)

A ranger band for outside the box and cash and mobile phone battery. Fantastic.

I will still use the paracord net bag with the ranger band also.
The cash idea is great. So is the battery, how long do you think it will keep
A charge for?

A sharp Stanley blade ( or other make ) or two for cutting the ranger band rubber into small tinder sections and for other cutting usages. Maybe a zip tie for attaching to a handle too.

Good idea's keep em coming, all welcome.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Hope you don't mind but I merged your posts together so as not to confuse folk.

Cheers,
GB.

Thank you GB, I didn't realise it was two threads when I edited it for added photos.
Cheers and thanks, Alex.

So paracord and inner tube firelighting fuel on the outside of the box. Now just what to select for the minimal inside space.

1)Two fifty quid notes would be nice. ( or maybe 1 £50, 2 £20 and 2 £5 notes. ) :)
2)Two Stanley blades.
3)(Maybe a mobile phone battery, not sure yet.)

How about water purifier tablets and a condom or two for water storage.

What are the best water purifier tablets or powder one can get?

I'm also thinking about a small carabiner or rings for a rubber band no fork, no handle catapult for simple hunting or slingbow fishing. There are good videos showing how to hold the catapult band in the hand.

Thanks.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Dehydrated water? Would be dead useful ;)

Something for straining water - purifier tablets are a good idea but not a lot of help if the water is muddy and scummy.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
No worries Alex, just trying to help.

One thing about £50 notes is that a lot of places are suspicious about taking them. It can be a pain as I used to keep some large notes for emergencies. Might be handier and not much more space to put the same amount in £20's. Also makes bribes/payments easier as you don't have to overpay or get change.

A couple of plasters can be handy.

Is it more of an urban survival thing or general survival?

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Yes, that's a good point GB, I will use twenty pound notes with a few tenners and fivers too.

It's not really an urban survival kit, half and half really, duel purpose anywhere survival pouch.
Really to be used with nature and woodland/jungle and natural enviroments, but can be used in the city if things go pear shaped in a S.H.T.F situation and need to cook, eat, purify water and first aid.

I would use plasters but they tend to fall off, so maybe a small wrap of electrical tape taken from the roll and rerolled onto itself to make a small roll for different sized wounds and areas. Thats what we use on the water, great stuff for DIY plasters with a good gauze dressing.

Yes, I will add rerolled electricians tape and small roll of guaze to the list. Thank you for that.

Also the small filter bag/sock, maybe that could be made to fit outside the tin, over the tin and rubber bands like a bag and underneath the paracord net bag hold it in place.
A great idea. Thank you MrCharly.

This is really coming along.

So,

1) Cash, 3 £20, 3 £10 and 2 £5 notes. Folded, ironed flat.
2) Two Stanley blades.
3) (Maybe a mobile phone battery, not sure yet.)
4) rerolled electrical tape and non lint gauze.
5) Two Condoms for water holding and other uses.
6) Water filter bag made to fit outside the tin.
7) Paracord net bag to hold it the tin and equipment.
8) water purifier tablets.
9) small tube of Potasium Permangernate crystals.
10) fishhooks, small weights and short length of line.
Any thought on the above items?
11) Theroband Gold catapult band on wrapped outside of tin, for non fork, non handle carabiner catapult.
12) Two carabiners to hold paracord netted bag secure, and for hunting.

I can't wait for my tins to arrive from the eBay selling company. A useful use for a usually decorative tin.

Im liking this project. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cool, one of the most useful things I can think of after the blade is something like a mini BIC style lighter. Useful, can be stored almost indefinitely, small and cheap. I know the boxes are for lighters, but having one you don't use all the time as a backup is pretty handy.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Yes, and the petrol lighter on lanyard around ines neck could easily get separated from the survival kit.
Yeah, a good idea, a small gas lighter, it could be kept in there ages with no evaporation or even a space saving peanut lighter.
I've never used a peanut lighter, do they evaporate much?

Thanks Steve and GB.

A good idea.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Bowlin

Nov 19, 2013
Luton, Bedfordshire
I've never used a peanut lighter, do they evaporate much?

I don't know, but I went and got mine after I read your post and it lit first time. That's the first time I've used it for about a year so there is enough fuel left to light after one year, but other than that impromptu test I can't comment.

As far as I'm concerned they are an inexpensive back-up bit of kit that is as near as dammit indestructible and totally dependable.

Get one, you know it makes sense.

Steve

Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Nice one Steve, that sounds like a good purchase. I may get one. :)

I do wear socks veryWildbill, but I'm trying to get away from that cheesy flavour. Lol

I will just find some suitable material after some research and make a filter bag to fit or fold up around the metal tin.

Thanks all.

It's getting there. :)

So that's,

1) Cash, 3 £20, 3 £10 and 2 £5 notes. Folded, ironed flat.
2) Two Stanley blades.
3) (Maybe a mobile phone battery, not sure yet.)
4) rerolled electrical tape and non lint gauze.
5) Two Condoms for water holding and other uses.
6) Water filter bag made to fit outside the tin.
7) Paracord net bag to hold it the tin and equipment.
8) water purifier tablets.
9) small tube of Potasium Permangernate crystals.
10) fishhooks, small weights and line.
11) Theroband Gold catapult band on wrapped outside of tin, for non fork, non handle carabiner catapult.
12) Two carabiners to hold paracord netted bag secure, and for hunting.
13) One small lighter ( peanut lighter. )
14) Wire saw.

I think we've run out of space now.
I will put it together and update what happened.

Any other ideas then please feel welcome to advise.

Cheers.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE