Stanley Thermos: Worth it? Or better options?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi Guys,
I love the old classic look of the stanley thermos and my dad used to have one. I was thinking about getting one for my cold weather adventures and even for in the other seasons if I want a hot beverage but don't want to bother with a boil up. So I started looking into stanley and found this product.

file_1374631712.jpg

It's referred to as the Stanley Outdoor Thermos on canadian outdoor equipment, and is $56. I've been having trouble finding reviews on this particular product and that is a lot of coin for a thermos. I've also seem some stuff that says since their production has changed to China, that they are not what they once were.

Does anyone have experience with this thermos? If not, what about other modern stanley thermos'? Any other recommendations that will keep liquids hot enough for tea and oatmeal after 12 hours?

Thanks,
H

I've got that one, and use it all the time for work and had no prob's with it. Its 3 years old and still going good.

Topknot

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've had a few flasks over the years and now just get the 1.2 litre stainless steel ones from Wilkinsons, I've not found the expensive ones to last any better and they cost three times as much.

One things for sure though, I'm not buying any more of the ones with the little button on top to let water out the lid. They don't last as well as the ones where you have to unscrew it slightly to let water out.

That's using them every working day, not once in a blue moon or every weekend.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My tesco one failed after 4th outing. I started filling it with boiling water from the kettle to pre-heat and had to drop it quickly when the heat passed straight through and i nearly burnt my fingers. Avoid cheap flasks as i dont think they last long.

Heard good things about thermos thermax flasks too. Think i bought a lesser model from thermos and in a test where i pre-heated then filled with boiling water it actually kept water too hot to drink straight after pouring after almost 2 days being kept in a cold kitchen. No heating in the kitchen then and it was a very cold winter. Below zero °C by some way overnight indoors and not much over in the day so a decent performance. Cost not a lot neither. Rate Thermos brand, well the newer ranges at least.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Hi
Been using Stanley flasks for longer than I can remember, couldn't recommend them highly enough. Don't have that particular model, but would guess it is up to there usual standards.
Bob

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
I have a emsa flask , made in germany not China and works a treat . as for Stanley flasks the quality has gone down hill over the past few years .

So the nostalgia and manly factors took their toll on me. I spotted a Stanley travel mug in a store and picked up one for me and the misses. Keeps tea hot for 6 hours and is leak proof. Great for a short day out or a hike.

20140105_211421-1.jpg

Impressed with the mug I decided to go ahead and get a larger thermos for overnights, or multi day trips. However, I didn't want to shell out $60 for the mountain thermos shown below, and the adventure line wasn't available anywhere I looked. Then I stumbled across the classic Stanleys at walmart, but they were out of stock of all the 1L bottles due to a massive blackout here. But as soon as it become back in stock I picked it up. Took it on an overnight and the water was hot the next morning for tea.

20140125_162725.jpg

So, this past weekend I had my Stanley 1L full of teatly tea to dads house to help him dig out his skidoos to prepare them for sale, and possibly go for a ride. We got talking and he dug out his old thermos, from what I can tell was purchased in 1992. Apparently it didn't hold the heat at all anymore. After a quick call to Stanley, a few questions later, and a new 1L thermos is now in the mail for my dad. They do not require the original to be sent back. What service! I'm glad I got mine, and hope it will last me at least the 22 years dads lasted him.

photo1-1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE