Stanley Thermos: Worth it? Or better options?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Guys,
I love the old classic look of the stanley thermos and my dad used to have one. I was thinking about getting one for my cold weather adventures and even for in the other seasons if I want a hot beverage but don't want to bother with a boil up. So I started looking into stanley and found this product.

file_1374631712.jpg

It's referred to as the Stanley Outdoor Thermos on canadian outdoor equipment, and is $56. I've been having trouble finding reviews on this particular product and that is a lot of coin for a thermos. I've also seem some stuff that says since their production has changed to China, that they are not what they once were.

Does anyone have experience with this thermos? If not, what about other modern stanley thermos'? Any other recommendations that will keep liquids hot enough for tea and oatmeal after 12 hours?

Thanks,
H

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
I've got a couple of recent Stanley flasks and found them to be excellent at keeping liquids hot - pretty sure they are made in China. Not tried that particular model.
I've tried other manufacturers and been disappointed, except for Thermos. If I had to replace a flask I'd go for another Stanley or Thermos, they are pricey, but in my opinion, worth it.

I have a Thermos similar to this http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/790-Thermos-Urban-Ultimate-Steel-Flask-0-8L/
and found it to be very good indeed.

My Stanley ones are either larger or are wide mouthed.
hth

Last edited:

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I've got a couple of Stanley ones, a stainless one with enough for a couple of mugs worth and a kind of retro short wide mouthed one. Both are excellent imo. I'd like to try one of the large retro looking Stanley's but I think they might be a tad large and heavy for popping in a pack :)

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
ive got the work series flask and its pricey but if you pre-heat it with boiling water before you use it, contents easily drinkable the next day, also has taken some abuse and still going strong, quite big for packing though but they do a smaller sized one

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Lots of sellers in Amazon or Ebay type places hike the price of an out of stock item to avoid re-listing fees.

I have the metal green Stanley flask and it is great but you must pre-heat as someone else said. It's a beast though at 1.5 litres and I prefer to boil on site if I can so it rarely gets used.

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I've far too many flasks bought at both high and low prices if I'm honest :(

For our UK members who have < tenner to spare for two flasks

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=275520447

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=275520430

They both work remarkably well for the cost, more so for the 1 litre model. So before you go off and blow thirty quid punt a fiver and see what you think.

i've tried 2 of the 1L flasks shown above, both times the pop up open / close cap has leaked badly and only keeps liquids "warm" for a couple of hours, still got one in the cupboard that i really can't be bothered with the hassle to take back, which reminds me........i'll bin it this afternoon !

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've got a couple of Thermos bottles and have had Stanley. Both brands are very good (never had the particular model you posted though) They're a bit costlier than the other brands but well worth it IMO.

I'm not sure where Stanley's made, but Thermos still has one of it's manufacturing plants in Mississippi (they're made in more than one location)

They make other smaller, slimline models more suitable for packing as well.

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
i've tried 2 of the 1L flasks shown above, both times the pop up open / close cap has leaked badly and only keeps liquids "warm" for a couple of hours, still got one in the cupboard that i really can't be bothered with the hassle to take back, which reminds me........i'll bin it this afternoon !

Could these faulty metal flasks be modded to become just stainless water bottles? Could the twin wall be drilled to stop it popping if on a fire? Could I be asking too many questions;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Interesting, I'll dig one out and do a little test with it in the next day or so.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

To be fair, one of my 1L Thermos bottles also had a leaky cap (same type of tip open cap) But they replaced it (the cap) after a quick phone call. No problems after that. I'm not sure if I still have that bottle or not; I did some clearing out a while back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE