Staniforth Severquick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
So I just ordered one of these for the princely sum of £16.80 inc P&P.

It's old, so doubt it'll come sharp, and I think the handle will need replacing.

I'm hoping someone on here can point me in the direction of the best place to get it re-handled, and maybe a leather belt sheath for it?

It looks quite nice, but I know nothing about these, so not sure if i got a bargain?

Cheers :)

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Are we talking a billhook or hatchet from Staniforths? I've seen both; if it's an axe/hatchet re-handling is very, very simple and straightforward, you'll need;

A good vice,
Hammer,
File and/or sandpaper,
A wooden wedge (recommended/optional),
A metal wedge,

Simples :)

A leather mask can be done with some 3mm leather and a few rivets. I've handled countless hammers and several axes, hatchets and the occasional adze, once you do one you'll see how easy it is!

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Hi Silverhill,

thanks for your reply. You make it sound so easy :D Tempted to have a go myself - just need the handle now then!

Leatherworking is definitely not my strong point, so I'll try and buy the cover.

Cheers,

Ben

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I actually saw one go for £28.00 on the bay last week and that had no handle.

You're kidding me!! Have this people no way of getting to a car boot??

They are reasonably scarce though. I personally don't think £16.50 is too bad for a piece of history.

ToneWood

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2012
Wessex
Sound a bit pricey to me (considering practically every home in the country had one or two similar axes in the past and almost nobody uses them now) but whatever floats your boat - hopefully it will encourage others to offer up their old unusued/unwanted axes/axe heads.
Leatherworking is definitely not my strong point, so I'll try and buy the cover.
I can highly recommend the sturdy & sharp American made Speedy Stitcher awl (in the UK, ebay is probably the easiest place to find this). I too am new to leatherwork too but managed to make 3 axe edge guards one wet evening last week - and it was fun, quick, simple and I was pleasantly surprised by the results. I added securing cords & toggles/buttons today - various schemes are possible, use your imagination/invent. I used a rubbish old leather belt that had fallen apart & have enough leather left to make a 4th guard. The main thing is to sandwich 3 pieces of leather together - the slim middle piece acts as a spacer and has the cutting edge resting against it. The nice thing is, they can be made to fit your particular axe(s). [I also used the Speedy Stitcher Awl to fix my sandals & rucksack - it probably paid for itself the first week I had it :) ]

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
You're kidding me!! Have this people no way of getting to a car boot??

They are reasonably scarce though. I personally don't think £16.50 is too bad for a piece of history.

I've been to many a car boot sale in my area over the last two years and have never seen an axe or axe head for sale. I've been looking out for them too.

macem

May 20, 2009
south wales
Harvestman have you been to Rheola Market in Neath, i bought a lovely billhook there, it was a couple of years ago mind.

A chap there had a table full of old tools, i'm sure there a few old axe heads in a box under the table.

It's open on saturday morning.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thanks macem, but by the time I've paid for the fuel driving to Neath I might as well buy a new axe! Besides, I can goto crickhowell and get old axesa if I want to. Just an observation that I never see them at car boot sales.

macem

May 20, 2009
south wales
Fair play, i go to Crickhowell to the tools for self reliance, my wife tells me my eyes light up like a little kiddie when i walk in there.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I've been to many a car boot sale in my area over the last two years and have never seen an axe or axe head for sale. I've been looking out for them too.

It must be a geographical thing. There's a number of 'boots up here, and you'd be very unlucky if you didn't find a couple of axes or hatchets. The prices range from 50p up to few quid depending upon condition. Conversely, I've never found a billhook for sale :/

If you're on the lookout I'll keep my eyes peeled for you if you want?

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
old thread this but I recently acquired what turned out to be a Staniforth Severquick axe head myself. It's definitely "vintage" as it took a little while to make out the trade mark/makers stamps but it's a fantastic little tool, takes a hell of an edge and polished up well too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE