Stamps for embossing leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gailainne

Life Member
What a brilliant idea, everyone wins, which is a very nice bonus. The detail you are achieving is amazing, I'm deffinately interested in getting some stamps made.

BTW have you thought of turning this around ? we buy the raw material, presumably it comes in specific sizes, or perhaps buying one for us 3 for the kids kinda thing ?

Whats the maximum size your machine can handle ? or more importantly, how much hair pulling out can you handle :D

I have a couple of dragon, celtic images I have been trying to figure out how to transfer onto leather, also a photo, (used to be my avatar) is that kind of thing possible ?

I presume you would want the images in something like a 2 colour tiff file ? ie black and white ?

I'm always interested in new techniques, so forgive the enthusiasium for a really well crafted product.

Cheers

Stephen

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Bothwell_Craig wrote:
Whats the position with regards to getting a custom one made up? What do you need?

I need a jpg file in black and white. (Or white and black! - the indented part needs to be white but don't worry too much about this as I can do an inversion in photoshop, I just need to know which bit is to be indented and which left proud.)

Gailainne wrote:
BTW have you thought of turning this around ? we buy the raw material, presumably it comes in specific sizes, or perhaps buying one for us 3 for the kids kinda thing ?

Whats the maximum size your machine can handle ? or more importantly, how much hair pulling out can you handle

I have a couple of dragon, celtic images I have been trying to figure out how to transfer onto leather, also a photo, (used to be my avatar) is that kind of thing possible ?

Unfortunately the raw material, while cheap when we cut it up into kid-size pieces, is expensive to buy in its minimum quantity - we order enough for two or three year's worth of projects at a time.

The maximum size for the material is 120 mm x 60 mm as this is what is left over after the kids' projects have been cast. (The machine can handle 600 mm x 300 mm but this would be about £100 worth of the material!)

As for what is possible - I don't know yet as I am still experimenting! I will post a little "how is it done" series of pics when I get the chance which will indicate what sort of results you can get from what sort of files. Watch this space!:)

blodyntatws

Jan 9, 2009
North Wales
Beautiful work.
I too would like a couple, a wolf print like the one in the pic and a pentagram if possible. Am quite happy to send you all my details being as I am a newbie.
Loz

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Gerald wrote:
Wow, that looks great. What kind of machine are you using because all I could fine online about laser etching is this and I kind of doubt that this is suitable for leather.

Yup, that's what we use - loads of school DT depts have them these days.

Drongo

Aug 19, 2008
Lisburn
I'm thinking of getting one of these, however I can't decide on what logo...

What do you lot think...?

Fox
Fox.jpg

Frog
Frog.jpg

Gecko
Lizard.jpg

Celtic Whirl
Whirl.jpg

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I vote for the frog but all would work. In fact, if anyone is thinking of getting one, these images are just what is required. The stamps are about 30 - 40 mm big and only other thing I need to know is which bit should be eaten away. That is: do you want the image indented or the surround indented and the image left proud - in which case, all these images would have to be inverted. (if they are jpg files I can do this easily in Photoshop)

One other thing - I am assuming that there are going to be no copyright issues with the images you send me - No MacDonald's arches please!:)

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
You people are all missing the point. Don't ask Kerne to make you one, Do what I'm going to do. I'm going to whittle out a Sterling engine for a power source and then locate a rock with a piece of quartz in it and remove it and make a laser lens, then I'll .....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had some of the stamps of Kerne and set too seeing what the results were like on different leathers, with different times under the clamp etc.
It used up a lot of the leather off cuts I was putting by for a stacked leather knife handle...
"So", I thought, "What am I going to do with all these bits of stamped leather?"
Then I recalled I had aquired a lot of split ring type key rings in a trade a while back....
Anyone want a key ring with a nice embossed fob?
75568052.jpg

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
Thanks again to Kerne, I now have a brilliant set of leather embossing stamps, all brilliantly made and easy to use. I recomend them to anyone looking to personalise their leather gear. And what a nice guy too!
Cheers matey...

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
SpanielMan said:
Thanks again to Kerne, I now have a brilliant set of leather embossing stamps, all brilliantly made and easy to use. I recomend them to anyone looking to personalise their leather gear. And what a nice guy too!
Cheers matey...

Glad to please...

Bit short of material at the moment but one of my colleagues has just started the project that uses necuron with a new group of Y7s. Should have some more towards the end of Feb.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I'm currently working on a scout logo with the rope surround - I'll post the result as soon as I can.

Got my Scout logo stamps today and they are very well made thanks Jim.:You_Rock_

I will post some pictures when I make something with them hopefully this week.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE