Stamps for embossing leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Some of you may know that I have been using a laser engraver to cut and engrave leather of late. What with this being not in the least bit traditional I thought I'd try a compromise. At school we use a material called "Necuron" which is a plastic with a high melting point into which our 11 and 12 year olds cast a low melt alloy (a pewter substitute) to make a zip tag/key fob doofer. I ran some of the used necuron through the bandsaw (to cut off the CNC milled designs of the kids) then used the laser cutter to engrave a variety of designs.

I then cut and sanded them into separate blocks and pressed them into wet leather using a backing board and a G cramp. (They are too big to be hammered effectively). This is the result:

embosserssmalloc2.jpg

I was quite surprised at the detail that I could transfer in this way - e.g. the little toes. I have no idea, as yet, how well they will hold up to repeated usage. We can get 10 or a dozen castings out of each one, so it seems a pretty resilient material.

Could this be the start of a cottage industry?:)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Yes, they are really great! I'd have one too. How durable would you say they are?

Oops, you already said something about that..:eek: Maybe a bit too much wine did it!!! Damn... there is a tape measure there...:rolleyes: :eek:

How big are these and how much would it cost??

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I'd buy one for sure
yes, i'd have one.
How big are these and how much would it cost??

Looks like there might be some interest. When I get back to school I'll check out costs - the material has already been used but I own neither the material nor the machine. If I have a word with my head of dept he might see this as a way of raising some cash for the kids. I doubt we'd have the time to go into mass production but I'm sure I can knock up a few. I will post details when i get back to work of what sort of file is needed so that the machine can read it.

Thanks for the encouragement!

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
You can definitely count me in.

They look fantastic. I have been admiring the laser etched leather and wondering how to get something similar done. These "stamps" look like a really good compromise.

Chris

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Yes, yes, yes, please!

How cool is it to have toys like that at school, in my day blah, blah...

Seriously though I would be very interested!

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
As said before, they look great met! - as for your concerns with durability I should think there shouldn't be too much worry if you use them as you have - damp leather and clamping. If it is a problem you have the backup of your pewter substitute;)

after all the stamps they you can get from leprevo are a soft (magnesium based?) alloy - so I reckon you are onto a winner:D

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Certainly be interested in getting a couple made up if you decide to make a few

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
OK - looks like about a dozen of you are interested.

I start back to work on the 7th of Jan (lazy, goodfornothing teachers...:) ) and will post some more details then. I'll work out a price - or, rather, two prices - one for already designed stamps and another for personalised ones - hope this seems reasonable as it takes time (and a bit of trial and error) to set up new files for the machine. I am completely new to this game and not by any means a natural capitalist, so anyone who wants to PM me with what they think is a reasonable price would be helping me out a lot.

Watch this space!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE