Stalking knife!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi guys. I am about to place an order with an extremely reputable knife maker. The purpose of the knife will be a Stalking/Hunting /Bushcraft knife. I know I cant really get one tool for all but what the maker has reccoemnded is something with a Full Flat grind. I have never used a knife with the grind before and he has told me that as a Gralloch/stalking tool this would be the best grind when working close to bones and dirt and nasty stuff! And that it would cope ok with woodworking/bushcraft duties. I would just like to know your opinions please and if you have anything to add? My other knives have the scandinavian grind and obviously are the business when it comes to working with wood. Thanks and look forward to hearing your views, Diolch, Tim.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
A full flat will cope with bushy stuff easily enough. Scandis are preferred as they are easier to carve with due to the flat bevels. Full flats with any form of secondary bevel will do the same thing, it just needs a user who is prepared to learn how to use it to such an effect. Put in the time and you be rewarded. Full flats are IMO better for butchering work, they are thinner for most of the blade depth so cut deeper more easily, they can be sharpened on a steel without losing the qualities that a scandi would by steel sharpening.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE