Stainless?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fat ferret

Forager
May 24, 2012
Galloway
Hi all, have made knives out of files and springs before but want to make a filleting knife.

I would like to use stainless so it doesn't rust too much for saltwater use but am unsure what to use and where to get it. Needs to be easy to sharpen and hold a fair edge. Also what metal rod doesn't rust/corode to easily and is silver in colour? I want to pein the rod for rivets aswell.

Cheers, Rich.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Well, firstly, do you have the means to heat treat stainless? Very very different from carbon steels and not do-able at home without the proper kit, and by proper kit i mean a digitally controlled knife oven.

I'd use Sandvik 12c27 personally, though you are going to need thin stuff for a filleting knife. Its a good steel, the same as mora use for their stainless knives. Not sure where you would get some thin enough for a filleting knife. My supplier only stocks 4mm.

You can get stainless bar and tube for the pins.

Fat ferret

Forager
May 24, 2012
Galloway
Ahh no mate I have a rayburn and a blow torch. Usually works for files and didn't realise stainless steel was any different. Thanks for putting me right.

Looks like I will just use carbon steel and look after it then. Or maybe I can buy a blank?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire

I could heat treat a stainless blade for you, if you wanted it doing. :)

Ahh no mate I have a rayburn and a blow torch. Usually works for files and didn't realise stainless steel was any different. Thanks for putting me right.

Looks like I will just use carbon steel and look after it then. Or maybe I can buy a blank?

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
do they make wood saws from stainless steel?

I've used old carbon steel saw blades to make knives for skinning and because saw blades are thin I'm sure you could easily make 6 knives from one old saw.

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/thegreatsamon/?action=view&current=DSCF1643.jpg
some of my first attemps using an old blade, I'm no pro but the knives are razor sharp and do their mucky jobs just fine.

If you cannot find any stainless saws (I doubt you will) I think you will find plenty of quality thin steel in the blades of tired blunt old saws!

Good bit of recycling too ;)

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Was also looking to make myself a nice filleting knife about 8 inches long in the near future, probably will get around to it near the coming of November December, so also will be looking around for anything like old blades, or saws if I will find anything I will post it up here.
Yours sincerely Ruud

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
That might not be a bad idea Alf, Lets take that for a spin as I still have some
knife blades with broken handles laying around, good that i didnt let SWMBO throw them away ( in this case my mom XD)
lets start tinkering!!
Yours sincerely Ruud

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
One of my modded kitchen knives, from bashed up meat cleaver from the closet to rocuha dn ready throwing knife/boot knife! ;) you know you love it!

HMK1.jpg

HMK4.jpg

DSCF1607.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE