Stainless Skinning knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I'm looking for a knife specifically for gutting and skinning. It needs to be able to go into the washing up bowl for a good scrub afterwards so I don't want any additional handle material, just a full tang to hold.

I've got one from Attleborough (see link below) but that's made of monkey metal and although The General :biggthump managed to get an edge on it at MM it lost it again as soon as I looked at it (just as he said it would).

http://www.attacc.com/acatalog/Attleborough_Accessories_Knives.html The 'Trophy Master' right near the bottom of the page is mine.

I'm looking for something similar, perhaps with a smaller blade, that will hold an edge. DG had a nice little skinner for those that went on the Hunter course last weekend.

Any sugestions please...

Cheers

Mark

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Hi Buckshot!

I've had the black skinning knife that Andy and I were using at the weekend for years, and never had a problem putting it in the washing up bowl - I'm pretty sure it's even gone into the dishwasher at times!

It's the 'Skinner' model made by 'Buck' in the USA.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Have you thought about getting a custom maker to do you one or is that a bit expensive? I can suggest a couple of American makers who I think would be up for it and if it's not too big then the cost shouldn't be loads. The exchange rate is the main reason I suggest American makers.

Bill

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I just use the Mauser blade on my SAK.

Give the blade a wipe, give the knife a shake in the soapy water then hold it under the tap to get rid of any soap. After that just open it out and leave it to dry. Served me well, like that for 16 years (1st luxury bought with uni grant cheque!).

I've tried several blades for skinning smaller stuff and still come back to this one - even skinned deer with it.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I have seen 2 blades by Brusletto that would be good for hunting. The 'Falken' and 'Jegern'. They are in 12c27 stainless which is very good steel, IMO. Both knives are hollowgrind. :wink:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
What about the BRKT Mini-canadian or Mikro canadian? I have the mini and it although it is a skinner, it is also well up for many other tasks

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Thanks Ladies and Gents,

Pip, I remember seeing you're black handled knife at the weekend, it looked quite big and a little heavy, although very nice I'm sure.
I'll be carrying my Woodlore as well but wanted something fairly lightwieght and small purely for the job.

Tant, I wondered about KISS knives, especially as my local army surplus sells them but am not sure of the steel used. Have you any idea?

TB10, I think a custom knife is OTT for what I want. It would be very nice to have one but I'd be sleeping outside the divorce courts if I was too tempted :yikes: .

Folders are Ok, I'm just concerned about bits getting into the mech. This not only causes operational problems but also food hygiene ones. There are rules being introduced at the moment about the proper hygienic handling of shot deer - from the moment it touches the ground.

I'll have to look up Brusletto, I recognise the name but don't remember any of thier designs.

Keep them coming

Cheers

Mark

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
how about a fixed blade victorinox

I small butchers boning knife wouldn't be bad for skinning, they come with either a rosewood or plastic handle should be around £15. Shouldn't be too hard to find on the net. If you have difficulty finding one let me know and I'll sort it.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
This is the mini-canadian, im sure it would be perfect.

mini_black_canvas.jpg

This is the Mikro, it's smaller, but i haven't tried it.

Antique_Ivory_Micarta.jpg

Both can be found at ODS Bark River section.

Cheers.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Buckshot: here's a pic of the Brusletto 'Falken'. :wink: 12c27 holds a good edge, is stainless and easy to sharpen.
Here is a pic of a 'Jegern' blade. :wink: :biggthump

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
stiff kiss is AUS- 6M to the best of my knowledge

stainless, not super hard, but an easy steel to sharpen

nothing stamped on the blade to confirm this tho

the upside to the kiss is even if it does tarnish you can simply sand it with a little fine emery paper

as far as food prep goes, most old butchers knives are made from much milder rust prone stuff, but washing and drying after use keeps em safe enough

(i dunno if this tallies with latest regs but mild steel knives have been used by butchers for a looooooooooong time)

Tant

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
What about the CRKT Serengeti Skinner? Designed specifically for the job and can be taken apart for cleaning.

SERENGET.jpg

I've seen them on e-bay for around £20.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Buckshot said:
It needs to be able to go into the washing up bowl for a good scrub afterwards so I don't want any additional handle material, just a full tang to hold.

yeah i would like to recommend the bark river too but that isnt what Buckshot was asking for

Tant

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
what about a crkt fixed flacon. plastic handle so should be OK

I'd still go for a butchers knife though. (Wooden handles were banned for a while in the UK but nt long ago it changed back)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE