stainless sa trangia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

giz

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2007
devon
hi just got my self a stainless version of this great stove had a alloy one for years which has served me very well but wanted somthing in stainless
what i wanted to know was which is the best way to remove all the cammo paint of the billy cans would paint stripper be ok on the steel or would it react
anybody got any ideas any help welcome

giz

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2007
devon
cheers guys ill try brake fluid as ive got plenty of that
bowlers in manchester now that takes me back some years

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
dont realy know anywhere or anyone who does that

yellow pages? Most likely there will be numerous firms that does blasting around you. Most powder coat firms will have it, a lot of shops doing car paint jobs will have it, any inustrial paint shops will have it, and several other types of industry.

here for instance: http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAc...n32=Blast+Cleaning:Stone+Cleaners+&+Restorers

Okay, I admit, I like blasted surfaces a lot better than shiny SS, but as it is a pot were talking about it will get all sooty and dirty in the end any way. Paint stripper will probably be just fine. (don't blast the inside, harder to clean!)

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Although it looks nice stripped, the paint & sooth will make the pot more efficient. The paint will eventually wear off if you use it on a fire.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
the paint on mine has almost come off now after lots of fires and scrubs with a scouring pad. i never smelt burning paint but soot doesn't seem to stick so bad after the paint has come off. also the pans have gone a realy nice steel-grey colour:)

pete

teflon

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury
If this is about the Swedish 'army' cooker, then I've got a stainless steel one as well - though until now I've always assumed that the steel was 'laminated' onto aluminum like they do on the modern 'Duossal' kits, but I've just had a look where it's chipped and it seems not. First stove I ever bought, though I haven't used it in a long while.

Anyway - thought I'd mention it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Never used my SAT over a campfire before but I've never smelt anything other than meths when using it.

In answer to your earlier question: C4 without a doubt, you could mould it round the pan and then kaboom!

Best used over a fire Asa, the supplied burner is crap;)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
anybody got any ideas any help welcome
Cheap PINE disinfectant (PINESOL in the US) gets most paint off if you leave it in soak for 24 hours, although I am not sure that I would use it on a billy that I was going to eat from. Having said that I am not sure I would use any toxic chemicals for that either :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE