Stainless or not?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Now that the link between Ali and Altizimmers (sp?) has been disproven i find myself liking Ali cookware more and more. The swedish army mess kit being one good example so the question is weight for weight what is better and why.

billys.bmp

This set of Ali pots and pans cost half the price of most stainless kits, they have bail arms and so are great for use over the camp fire, the large pot takes 6 pints the smallest 2 (total of 12 pints in all three) the lids can be used as a frying pan, plate and mug respectively. And it weighs next to nothing, in fact the whole kit weighs a few grammes less than a 14cm zebra.

So what do you think is better and why?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Thats your cooking Joe - but good point, personal preference has a lot to to with it too I guess.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I vaguely remember from 'The New Way of the Wilderness' the author suggesting Aluminium for everything except the frying pan - where he advised steel to reduce sticking.

'New' in this context refers to fifty years ago of course...

Does aluminium distort with prolonged use over a fire? My Swedish army kit hasn't so far, but usually its used on the trangia burner.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I really do think that the stainless is easier to clean, the main thing that Ali has going for it is weight. It's not as tough, although probably tough enough. I think i'm right in saying that SS distributes heat a bit better as well.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
So, there you have it Gary... Stainless is easier to clean, cooks more evenly, looks better and is stronger...

...but it's heavier.

Your choice innit.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Personally its Stainless for me, as before much easier to clean conducts heat better and for me its "nicer" to use - also if you're on a stove you're less likely to burn a whole in the bottom of it (yep thats been done before). Titanium is defiantely better in terms of weight and strength - although has dire heat conducting properties.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Doc said:
I vaguely remember from 'The New Way of the Wilderness' the author suggesting Aluminium for everything except the frying pan - where he advised steel to reduce sticking.

'New' in this context refers to fifty years ago of course...

Does aluminium distort with prolonged use over a fire? My Swedish army kit hasn't so far, but usually its used on the trangia burner.

You might be right there Doc, although I guess it also depends on what/how you fry - I have one of those little wok things that is badly warped and thats stainless.

So the general concesus is stainless is more hygenic - why?

Cooks more evenly - over an open fire? where we generally/mostly boil water? I rarely cook a meal in my pots and on those occations I have I generally sit watch the pot, play with the fire and stir to contents! Also added to this is the question of shape, i/e a large flat surface say a frying pan will heat up and more evenly much quicker than a deep sided billy can so whats better there?

Toughness probably goes with weight - so swings and round about there.

As for caste iron ......... pack horse time me thinks!!

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Especially with Trangia's you need to be careful how you store Alu pots. The aluminium can oxidise and you can get pitting that makes a perfect home for bacteria.

Make sure they are cleaned immediately and put away dry - dont store your trangia with meths in the burner and preferably store them opened up with the parts seperate.

I recently dug out my mini trangia that had been put away for a couple of months - it must have been damp or not totally clean when it went away cos 2 of the pots are unusable now - covered in grey oxide with pitting in the base of each.

I've seen similar on several occasions.

George

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Good point George - I usually dry my pots stainless and ali over the fire after use just to make sure they are dry. Regardless of hygiene issues I dont like putting anything wet back in my pack!

Interesting thread so far though.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
If someone gave me Ti pots I wouldn't complain. But the price puts it out of my budget. Ti doesn't make for good pots anyway. the conductivity is worse then either SS or Alu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE