Stainless knife for abusing and losing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Hi folks can anyone recommend a cheap ish stainless knife, just something similar to a Mora clipper really that has a good sheath as in it holds the knife relatively well rather than falling out easily. Needs to be a plastic handle and sheath as it will be on my person whilst kayak fishing at the coast.

Thanks all!

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
One of the Mora Basics? The 546 is stainless and is around £7-8. Normal blue handled, though they did a special 2020 edition in yellow and black.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I carry a rescue style knife in the boat; a slicing blade can have difficulty getting through some ropes and a rescue knife has at least part of the blade serrated. I have two: a fixed blade one that fits very well in its sheath and can be attached to a belt on the buoyancy aid or a one-hand opening one that I have in a pocket on the BA and attached to a lanyard. I know some people say lanyards are a no-no in a boat but I'd rather make sure I don't lose the thing when TSHTF.

Do a search for rescue knife on any of the kayak stores.

(apologies, you probably already know all that but just mentioned it in case)

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent

I've got a couple of these kits, good VFM. Search around you maybe able to get it even cheaper.
The knife is stainless and apart from branding exactly the same as a mora companion.

The newer sheath is pretty good at holding the knife, with a band from an old cycle inner tube it goes nowhere. put a couple round and you've got a good all weather firestarter assist.

g8Zr3oKl.jpg

znwig0rl.jpg

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Nice, cheapest seen the combo for a while.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
+shipping unfortunately. might be a voucher code somewhere.

To caveman, if you do go for one of these, file the spine a little for fero rod and if you want a double dangler to keep on your belt,

This is a later version but in my haste I forgot to make all holes or slots with rounded edges.

fK8LRnyl.jpg

RfCrTW0l.jpg

TOuO3tXl.jpg

63k47cCl.jpg

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Why "similar to a Mora Clipper"....but not a Mora Clipper?

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Cheers for all the replies folks! Definitely the kind of knives I was looking for.

Chris, mora is not a problem happy to get one, was just using it as a descriptive :)

I carry a rescue style knife in the boat; a slicing blade can have difficulty getting through some ropes and a rescue knife has at least part of the blade serrated. I have two: a fixed blade one that fits very well in its sheath and can be attached to a belt on the buoyancy aid or a one-hand opening one that I have in a pocket on the BA and attached to a lanyard. I know some people say lanyards are a no-no in a boat but I'd rather make sure I don't lose the thing when TSHTF.

It's all new to me Broch, your experience is appreciated :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hultafors aim rather more at carpenters, do not have many options in stainless, and their sheaths are less good, being designed for carpenter utility belts. Their two outdoor models have after-thought cloth loops to allow belt carry.
I like my three Hultafors knives for DIY and leather work, but wouldn't recommend them for boating or fishing.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
What's about this?

It seems to be made especially for you.

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
Mora. I got one for my girlfriend to abuse so she can stay away from my other knives! I would say those things can take a beating and still stay sharp! I had never seen a better value knife!

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Thanks for all the recs folks, I have just placed an order with Heinnie for a Mora companion stainless, with bright orange sheath and handle tips for £10.95 posted. I was toying with getting the serrated one, I'll see how I get on but I may order it further down the line.

Thanks!

Reactions: Murat_Cyp

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
Thanks for all the recs folks, I have just placed an order with Heinnie for a Mora companion stainless, with bright orange sheath and handle tips for £10.95 posted. I was toying with getting the serrated one, I'll see how I get on but I may order it further down the line.

Thanks!
I got exactly the same. In my opinion no point of getting a serrated one if you are not doing lots of rope, tomato and bread cutting. I also think about getting one with a serrated edge as a diving knife as they come handy to cut fishing lines in case of entanglement. Otherwise, I would not bother especially if you are buying for wood related tasks.

Reactions: Seagull

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I got exactly the same. In my opinion no point of getting a serrated one if you are not doing lots of rope, tomato and bread cutting. I also think about getting one with a serrated edge as a diving knife as they come handy to cut fishing lines in case of entanglement. Otherwise, I would not bother especially if you are buying for wood related tasks.

The whole point about a serrated knife when boating is to be able to cut yourself or someone else free from rope entanglement - all kayak and canoe safety training recommends a serrated or partly serrated knife. The OP specifically said he was using it kayaking; are you advising differently from a position of experience?

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
No Davie, I think we are saying the same thing. I also suggested if the rope cutting for the purpose of freeing oneself from potential entanglement is the priority, then the serrated edge could be better. I did not do kayak fishing myself so when he mentioned kayak fishing, I did not immediately though about cutting oneself from rope entanglement. From my experience, if I am doing line fishing, I prefer a sharp non-serrated edge as it is better for bait preparing, fish filleting and equally good at cutting fishing lines.

Reactions: Seagull

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Oh nice coastal kayaking, something of which I have a mind to do given my quarter mile proximity to the sea. But knives, given what I know of marine environments I would opt for less the cheapy knife and more the Mora Serrated Safety knife through a decade of experience with the tool in a number of environments.

The trick with using knives in marine environments is to bore a hole in the end of the handle and affix a short wrist lanyard to when using a knife where it has the potential to fall in the soup.get into the habit of putting one's hand through the wrist lanyard first meaning it doesn't go far should you drop it. And the wrist lanyard can be wrapped around the handle and hooked under the belt hook when the knife is in the standard Mora sheath to keep it there. I use shock cord as a wrist lanyard.

And why the Mora Serrated Safety knife, well to start with it's ORANGE, did I say orange to not at all be missed and yes a stainless blade that holds a good edge, but not just that but a portion of the cutting edge serrated to I have found be excellent at dealing with cordage and I have found where a sharp blade struggles to cut some materials a serrated edge can saw.... something I found when I needed to cut a carpet up.

Edited to add mine has been abused for those serrations to be somewhat less these days and the knife a bit shorter because the Rescue knife has been my go to knife for brutal duties i.e. places I fear might break my Mora Laminated Classic with it's rat tail tang in a wooden handle and I don't want to break that as it's not really a modern Classic more of an antique.

But a Mora Clipper 861F Serrated Safety Knife at a cost of £11.69 at Springfields,that's a cheap knife.

Last edited:

EdS

Attach the lanyard to the BA with a thin small cable tie - strong enough keep it to hand but easily snapped of entangled.

It's what we do with the ones on our Swiftwater Rescue Tec ones - never lost one yet.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Attach the lanyard to the BA with a thin small cable tie - strong enough keep it to hand but easily snapped of entangled.

It's what we do with the ones on our Swiftwater Rescue Tec ones - never lost one yet.
From research a lot of folk use a similar system with kayak anchors.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE