SS Nalgene and other bottles

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Recently ordered a 32 oz SS Nalgene Backpacker- not recieved it but are they any good?
Also can anyone recommend any other bottles, i have a 58 pattern which leaks and have looked into another plastic nalgene or a 1 or 2 ltr platypus bottles but are there better bottles out there?
Thanks, Ben.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I was thinking of buying a 2 ltr platypus bottle to keep the nalgene topped up on day hikes.. not too sure yet thou.
Those bottles look good, are they strong?:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I had the Guyot Backpacker but then swapped if for the Gsi Dukjug as the H2jo coffee filter seemed to work better with it :)

Last edited:

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Thanks for the replies, I will look into a new 58 bottle, another nalgene or a platypus. I have a 10 litre carrier but its to much for 1 night :)

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I like collapsable bottles, cheaper brand names work just fine. My 2 main bottles are the Crusader bottle and a 2 litre collapsable bottle from Mountain Warehouse. The collapsable bottle only takes up the space of what is actually in it if you get what I mean. E.g. A 2 litre bottle half full will only take the space of a 1 litre bottle.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
The 10 litre water carrier is square, so its not very good on short trips so i dont half fill it. Drinks bottles work great but im looking for a more permanent bottle :)

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Ive also got 1L and 1.5L sigg
Camelbak bottles
Platypus bottles.
Scource bladder

But my favourite bottles are the 1L dutch bottle from endicotts and my crusader bottle, they are pretty much bomb proof.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HWMBLT likes washed out juice bottles for his jaunts, I prefer the Platypus ones.
They all work fine. Nalgene was supposed to not pick up any taint from whatever was put into it. I only use the platypus for water, himself likes his with ribena :) so he's not allowed to pollute mine.

The nalgene bottles stand upright a lot easier than the platypus if you're using them for water when cooking though, and I'm told the wide neck is considered a good thing for those who use old ones as 'cold night in the hammock' pee bottles :rolleyes: :D

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE