Squirrel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Got me a squirrel today, skinned easier than I expected and there looks to be more than enough meat for 1 person.

Squirrel stew ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Yum Yum.

I hope I like it:)

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
Hi barney funny you should mention squirrel i was at my local formers market last week that's the first thing i noticed was gray squirrel on display with all the other meat i was quiet surprised and shocked at the price of it and how fat they where if it hadn't be on the label i would off sed it was rabbit and at £4.50 a shot a little pricey for me.so yours should taste a little sweeter for free :lmao: stanley

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Am I the only one that thinks we should make the Grey Squirrel a national dish until the little blighters are down to more controllable levels?

I can see it now , pre-packed between the chicken breast and the mince beef on supermarket shelves.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Well I am still alive.:D

I am glad that I had not read Screeching Owls post before my tea though:lmao:.

I had read it by supper time, but the stew was that tasty it did not stop me going back for seconds.:)

I will be eating it again and very soon I hope, a colleague at work has asked me to trap 20 or so from her back garden. Which I may take her up on.

I found it very tasty indeed, I will however have to perfect the cooking method as an hour in the pot was not quite enough and although very tasty it didn't half put up a struggle the meat clung on to the bones like a good un, tough little buggers.:rolleyes:

Oh the taste front, the flavour was, to my palate, a touch sweeter than Rabbit getting on for Lamb almost, very moorish. It does not surprise me in the slightest that chefs and restaurants are attempting to use it in their kitchens.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
18.20 for squirrel and wild garlic? outragious! i can walk 5 mins bag 2 squigs and pick some wild garlic on the way back home...
rip off merchants!

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
I've eaten a few, as you say they can be a little tough, especially if roasted, but they stew very well.

Wrap the in streaky bacon to roast as they have very little fat.
Always comes out tender for me,and strangely does not taste of the bacon.
Taste wise IMO more like chicken than rabbit.
Will have to see if anyone has a squizzer problem they need sorting:D

GS

Thats very interesting never seen or heard of poison control for Squirrels would it have been to hard to ask hunters/bushcrafters to trap or shoot if the area allows to keep the populations down or does that make to much common sense?

I'm definitely not trying this where I live as it is common to find Squirrel poison Hoppers in the woods. See link http://www.farmforestry.co.uk/poison.html

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I had 2 over the weekend done them in a stew simmered for about 2hrs sweet as a sweet thing I love the taste of squirrel it is such a delicate flavour

bivvyman

Mar 29, 2009
Leeds
niiiiiiice, i like 3 of them..1 gets the mouth watering, 2 is nice , but another is needed !! bit like a good ale ..lmao

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Ate my first squirrel last weekend. Very impressed with the flavour. Perhaps if we spread the word they will become an endangered species...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE