Squirrel Stew

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
PHWAAOOR - the smell coming from my kitchen :dancer:

Bought a squirrel today (and some venison too, but thats another day :) - probly tmoro! ). Already skinned and gutted, except the heart and liver left in, i decided to not use them this time.

Been prepping my ingredients for 2 hours! They include: an onion - fried with 2 crushed garlic cloves, 2 smallish carrots, 2 smallish potatoes, a chunk of turnip (all diced by the way), some shreddings of leek, ground pepper and salt (of course), a good helping of thyme, bay leaf, and rosemary.

I halfed the squirrel, and browned it off in the same pan as the onions and garlic - for flavour.
All ploncked in a caserole dish, and covered with water.
160oC, gave it an hour, then a little mix, and leaving it another hour.
If you could only smell it!!!!!! (photos will follow when its done, either tonight, or in the morning, depending on if i can move afterwards :eek:)

Thanks for looking,
Dan.
photos to follow..............

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I can't believe you left the heart and liver aside, they'd be the best bits. I'd suggest having them for breakfast with eggs.

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
Right, as said, pictures..
But, i forgot to say, i also added a slice of streaky bacon which i cut up, and if i were to do it again, i would most deffinatly add more bacon!!
I also added the zest and a little juice of a small orange. May not think of this; and could easily be left out, but it did go well with the whole stew - gave it a sort of 'exotic' taste almost.

May not look the most appetising of stews - but it tasted great! (thats a branch of thyme btw, incase you thought 'whys there a stick in it?!')

Served with some nice, thick bread. Fantastic.

I can't believe you left the heart and liver aside
Damn!! well, atleast i know that for my next squirrel! Shame on me :rolleyes:

So, all in all, it was great. Ended up eating the meat off the bone with my hands b'cos theres so little of it. And although i did enjoy this, i think i would try something different next time - probablly good old squirrel pie :p

Cheers for looking,
Dan.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
For a minute there i thought you were in my kitchen and cooking my squirrel looking at those photos, ikea bowls, ikea tray, ikea kitchen roll holder!!!!

It looks very good, cant wait to get mines cooked, its a right chubby we guy!!!

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Looks excellent! Squirrel stew is my favorite game meal. I have a similar recipe with a few differing ingredients. Thanks for posting and sharing your pictures!

Gordy

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
Any way to catch a squirrel witout shooting them?

I think shooting is probably the most humane way - quick and painless, trusting you get a good shot!

But i suppose squirrel traps could be used http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Cheese-STV076-Squirrel-Cage/dp/B000NWGJNW
never used one of these, so uncertain of how they acttualy work/ how effective. But these things usualy do work.
Another - in-humane - way, and I'm quite sure they are illegal, if caught! Would be to use a snare, wrapping wire around a longish log propped digonally up against a tree from the ground, and a snare formed just off the log so the squirrel runs through it. In-humane, as this is unlikely to kill the squirrel itself!
Oh, and using a catapult, but im also unsure on the legallities of that (sorry :confused:), and i seem to remember there being one or two threads on such a topic.
all the best,
Dan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE