Squirrel question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Glydr

Feb 17, 2010
Wirral
Does anyone know would it be illegal to shoot a squirrel (with an air pistol) in my own back garden?, bearing in mind that I rent the property I do not own it. Also there is no danger, should I miss that a pellet could go anywhere near a road or any other such public space, just curious.

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
You would have to have the landowners permission to shoot it, shooting the squirrel is fine as they are vermin but you just need the permission

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Problem 1 with air pistols (in the UK) is that they are quite low-powered -- as a maximum they are half as powerful as an off-ticket air rifle, and most are a lot lower.

Second is the accuracy issue. Just how accuracte are you at shooting at an unmeasured distance at an unknown upwards angle?

Third, the law is that the pellet must not cross a boundary -- e.g. your garden to your neighbour's.

Glydr

Feb 17, 2010
Wirral
Understood, I guess theres not much chance of me bagging one by this method then. While I doubt my landlord would object to this, the only way I could do it is if the squirrel actually came onto the ground in my garden and since I own a german shepherd the little blighters seem to be deterred from doing this.

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
You would have to have the landowners permission to shoot it, shooting the squirrel is fine as they are vermin but you just need the permission

I'm afraid that after seeing several posts on here about shooting vermin, permission or 'shooting for the pot' that I'm afraid you would all be in deep trouble if challenged.

You can only shoot 'vermin' on the general licence if you can prove that it is for a genuine reason - 'crop damage' etc. and then only if you can show that other alternatives have been considered.

Anyone shooting anything for the pot would be in trouble. Similarly shooting one in your garden would also not meet criterea. If you wounded a squirrel because you used a pistol, then the RSPCA would take a good long hard look at a prosecution.

Other countries such as Italy are furious with our laws which allow us to shoot pigeon all year around on the grounds of pest control. They can only be shot in season in other countries. Methinks it would be wise to read up on all relevant legislation before shooting anything!!!;)

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
If you trapped the squirrel in a live catch trap, by law you are no longer allowed to release it back into the wild (Alien species) so you the have to humanely destroy it, here a pistol shot to the head is ideal, no meat damage. Skin it and freeze, when you have 4/5 casserole as chicken, lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Above all, legal.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you trapped the squirrel in a live catch trap, by law you are no longer allowed to release it back into the wild (Alien species) so you the have to humanely destroy it, here a pistol shot to the head is ideal, no meat damage. Skin it and freeze, when you have 4/5 casserole as chicken, lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Above all, legal.

I was just thinking a trap would be the way to go. A good excuse to practice a few bushy skills at the same time too.

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
I was just thinking a trap would be the way to go. A good excuse to practice a few bushy skills at the same time too.

Be aware that a recent landmark court case has set a precedent that the only acceptable method of disposing of a trapped grey squirrel is by lethal injection administed by a vet!!:yikes:

Last person who upset by the RSPCA was made to pay £1500 court costs! Anyone prepared to tell us how they have disposed of 'vermin'?;)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Be aware that a recent landmark court case has set a precedent that the only acceptable method of disposing of a trapped grey squirrel is by lethal injection administed by a vet!!:yikes:

Last person who upset by the RSPCA was made to pay £1500 court costs! Anyone prepared to tell us how they have disposed of 'vermin'?;)

Wasn't that the water-butt incident? A far from humane method the way he did it.

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
Wasn't that the water-butt incident? A far from humane method the way he did it.

Yes it was but my point is that the RSPCA claim in court was that the only acceptable method to them was by lethal injection administered by a vet.

I would hate to be the person on this forum who condones shooting a grey squirrel in a cage by an air PISTOL.

I know from experience how difficult it is to obtain a clean kill on a grey squirrel - and I use a full power rifle.

Whoever claims that disposing of any live vermin with an air pistol is an acceptable method of killing is foolish in the extreme.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting to note that many air rifles kinetic energy has decayed to less than 6ftlbs at 30 yards or less, however many experienced hunters take 30 yard shots on larger game than squirrels at that range.

http://www.straightshooters.com/ourtake/ottesthw77.html

Whilst not something I would do, an air pistol generating 6ftlbs is the choice for despatching mink caught in live traps so should be capable of a humane kill on a squirrel at point blank range

http://www.gwct.org.uk/documents/gct_mink_raft_guidelineslr.pdf

Red

Red

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Pretty sure on the 'Grime buster' or such like tv programme i've seen Pest control officers walking around with a co2 pistol (crossman i believe) for dipatching rats....now he was on national tv and i think would know the law pretty well.

but no i do n't think a pistol is even worth a punt at any more than a few (read less then 10) meters.....have you ever tried pistol shooting at a club?

Last edited:

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
Interesting to note that many air rifles kinetic energy has decayed to less than 6ftlbs at 30 yards or less, however many experienced hunters take 30 yard shots on larger game than squirrels at that range.

http://www.straightshooters.com/ourtake/ottesthw77.html

Whilst not something I would do, an air pistol generating 6ftlbs is the choice for despatching mink caught in live traps so should be capable of a humane kill on a squirrel at point blank range

http://www.gwct.org.uk/documents/gct_mink_raft_guidelineslr.pdf

Red

Red

Whilst respecting your quotes and opinions, I feel that you are missing a couple of points from my arguement.

My main point is that a recent court case has upheld a claim by the RSPCA that ANYTHING other then lethal injection is inhumane.

Other then this the degradation of ft/lbs over distance is obvious. A 12ft/lbs rifle at point blank range delivers twice the impact of a full power pistol - fact but yet is still unacceptable to some folks.

I'm just expecting the prosecution of someone spotted taking more then one shot to kill a tree rat in a cage, thats all!!

I suspect that there would then be outrage?

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I take it that the RSPCA will be taking court action on all hunters , pest control firms and abattoirs
as none of them uses lethal injections to kill !

Craig..........

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
I take it that the RSPCA will be taking court action on all hunters , pest control firms and abattoirs

Craig..........

You tell me buddy - I didn't fine the bloke.

I'm just trying to point out that anyone not adhering to recent court decisions could be liable.

No one has mentioned abbatoirs etc. We are talking about squizzers in a cage, please don't try to take the thread off topic.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My main point is that a recent court case has upheld a claim by the RSPCA that ANYTHING other then lethal injection is inhumane.

With respect, the court upheld nothing of the sort. The court does not make policy statements or create law. The court found Raymond Elliott guilty of causing unnecessary suffering by drowning a squirrel in a water butt. That is all. After the case, the RSPCA made a statement about lethal injection. The RSPCA do not make the law however. It is legal to shoot a grey squirrel. Whether or not it has been held in a live catch trap first is irrelevant, provided the act of despatch does not cause unneccesary suffering then the act in question (The Animal Welfare Act 2006) has not been broken. Shooting live trapped animals - including grey squirrel and mink - is the most common method of despatch and is indeed the reccomended method. Indeed it is illegal to release some vermin species - including squirrels.

Red

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com

Craig..........

Not to mention B&Q for selling mouse traps.

I take your point rommy, but Red is absolutely right. What the RSPCA consider to be humane is irrelevant. The court did not make any ruling on their opinion of humane dispatch, they only found Raymond Elliott to be guilty of causing unnecessary suffering. What that means is that you could be in trouble if you drown squirrels, it does NOT mean using anything other than lethal injection is now illegal. That's reactionary nonsense.

Last edited:

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
With respect, the court upheld nothing of the sort. The court does not make policy statements or create law. The court found Raymond Elliott guilty of causing unnecessary suffering by drowning a squirrel in a water butt. That is all. After the case, the RSPCA made a statement about lethal injection. The RSPCA do not make the law however. It is legal to shoot a grey squirrel. Whether or not it has been held in a live catch trap first is irrelevant, provided the act of despatch does not cause unneccesary suffering then the act in question (The Animal Welfare Act 2006) has not been broken. Shooting live trapped animals - including grey squirrel and mink - is the most common method of despatch and is indeed the reccomended method. Indeed it is illegal to release some vermin species - including squirrels.

Red

Of course it is not against the law to shoot grey squirrels, I would be the first to be prosecuted otherwise!

I'm pointing out the simple fact that a pistol is not the tool to be used.

I leave you all to make your own decisions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE