Spyderco tenacious lighty modded and mini review with good photos.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
my first spyderco and i didn't like it when it arrived,the shape or the feel.

but i stuck with it,removed the belt clip [imperial allen key] then smoothed of the edges of the handle [much better and took 10 mins].

added a lanyard,this is the best way i find to attach one.a simple easy open knot and hangs well.

the knife was razor sharp,it locks firm and no movement.

i went out with it a couple of times and its a tool.
its design is deceptively good,when you use it then it makes sense,the grip is superb.

with the lanyard out i find it hangs in my pocket perfectly ready for use.

if the expensive spydercos are better they must be special.

£36 from heinnie Haynes [best customer service in the world]

DSC_9044.jpg

DSC_9049.jpg

DSC_9053.jpg

DSC_9054.jpg

DSC_9057.jpg

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Nice pics, might have to get mine back out the draw and have another go with it. To be honest, Ive never really got the whole Spyderco thing though?

ATB, Jon.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
Nice pics, might have to get mine back out the draw and have another go with it. To be honest, Ive never really got the whole Spyderco thing though?

ATB, Jon.

i didnt untill i tried it.

a bit disapointed no one else has commented,i went out of my way to take some nice photos which i expected people to appreciate :)

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
Great pics, nice subtle mods too, love spydercos, have a few and the tenacious is as good as any. I like the fact they can be flipped open and closed one handed, quality control is second to none too.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Nice pics! That's one of the nicer looking Spideys. They all look like they're function over form to me but so many people on here and BB forum have positive things to say about them that they must be good.

BobvanVelzen

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2010
Netherlands
My first spyderco was a gift from my father, he used it for ten years, now I've used it for ten, still good, still sharp (although the spyderedge is getting a bit short) and still my favorite! Great review!

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
The tenacious was my first Spyderco too, now I carry a Manix 2 in 90V and carbon fibre....

They aren't the prettiest knives in the world, but when you pick one up and start to use it you get it - all over. I am awaiting a cheque from the insurance to replace my lost UKPK which I was never without, and now I have had to be for a few weeks I really miss it.

They are awesome knives and made the best fit for most people, the fact that the few that find a tweek possible and do means that they really are well thought out and not far from the mark with the remainder.

I plan to get a few more knives fromn them, I don't know why as I have enough, but they are just so good and you will rarely find me without a masterpiece from Mr Glesser.

Nice mods and nice pic - that is exactly how I do all my lanyards too.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
whats the ukpk like i have been looking at the cheaper ones but dont like the colours and spring looks weaker than the £106 jobs.
which seems very expensive to me?

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Nice pics JTF. Thanks for sharing your idea on cleaning up the Tenacious. I have one of them and the Persistance as well, great folders for the price. I kept mine as it arrived but may look at smoothing the edges as you have done. Since they are the bottom of the line for Spyderco, they are sure good quality for the money. Cheers!

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
i have to agree with you on two points.

Spydercos are razor sharp out of the box

Hennies are great fir customer service. i got my mini spdyerco honeybee for 8.95 delivered.

IMAG0666-1.jpg

Last edited:

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Nice job, i had one for a while, modded it with a "wave", i will try and find some pics.
In the end i replaced it with a Persistence, (smaller version of the tenacious).

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Blade "waved" and bead blasted for a more "tactical" look :rolleyes: :)

DSC00964.jpg

DSC00961.jpg

DSC00962.jpg

Only Spyderco i carry these days is a CF UKPK

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The Spyderco knive looks pretty good and I know they are very popular but why are they so expensive? Is it all about build quality and finish? What's the steel quality like?

It looks like the guys across the pond are particularly fond of them.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
The steel quality depends on the model you're buying.
Even the basic blades have good quality steel, but the higher priced ones feature some of the "super steels"

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
The Spyderco knive looks pretty good and I know they are very popular but why are they so expensive? Is it all about build quality and finish? What's the steel quality like?

The ergonomics are superb - Sal puts a lot of work into them. I have the Tenacious and I like it - it doesn't get out much these days. It's now the weekend and I have just been to the sorting office to collect my new UKPK - thank God I have it 'back'. It's expensive because it uses top grade materials and is finished to a high standrad in the states by well paid and trusted staff.

My Manix 2 has, I said a CPM S90V blade which is ridiculous in terms of edge retention. Sal once wrote that it costs them a dollar in wear on the sanding strips to grind a Military in S30V. This blade must be at least four times as much - then theres the time and the buying it in the first place.

I believe that Spyderco are as good as it gets in production knives, which is why I have two on me right now, and over three hundred quids worth on my right thigh.

Start with a persistence and watch BB. Then you're in trouble.

some are some arnt depends if your paying for an american workers Mortgage or a Chinese Guy the Tenacious is made in china

i had a persistence ( tenacious little brother ) my first Spyderco it was nice etc but i sold it on now i have the Resilience the Tenacious BIG brother if its gonna be a locker might as well be big i like it again and the large blade is good for Food slicing etc

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE