Spyderco, never been a fan....until now. (some pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
I love my opinels and i hope they don't get offended as I write this.

There is no secret that spyderco manufactures some very high Quality made knives, probably the best in the world of factory knives.

I myself have always liked to have an Opinel in my pocket, easy to use not tactical look and great quality- not to mention that wood feels better in my hand.

On my way down the I-70 road in Colorado i chose to take a side road to Golden Co, where i found some of the best folding knives in the World(???)

I purchased the value folders, the Ambitious, Persistence and tenacious. I will be keeping the Ambitious and giving away the other two as gifts.

92f350f0-6693-4aa7-9ae7-409a49ef93ef.jpg

IMG_20140316_143525.jpg

IMG_20140316_150215.jpg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I do know what you mean as they are "fugly" but they are brilliant knives. I only have a couple but the UKPK is brilliant. (I can hear British red and others tussing.. ;) )
The steel takes and wicked edge and holds it better than any other knife I have. It is a very easy one handed opening and very light weight.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I only have a couple but the UKPK is brilliant. (I can hear British red and others tussing.. ;) ).

Yup. Having paid good money for one and carried it, I still think that they are poorly designed, badly made and obscenely priced

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
I have a spyderco urban and I love it.
I could never pay £120 for a 2.5 inch folding knife again so I try and look after it. But it comes with me everywhere I'm not allowed a fixed blade. I think they are a great design. Very overpriced, but then you are paying for all the R&D that went in to making it.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Keep the Tenacious, you'll be kicking yourself if you don't.

Cuts bread, spreads butter, feathers sticks. It's a great all rounder.

Red, I'm happy for you to have a look if you'd like. For a budget knife it's a pleasure to own.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's a very kind offer - but I own a UKPK and it put me right off Spyderco folders. I have a featherlight fixed blade (pre hole in blade) thats okay - but the folders do nothing for me :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm with Red on Spyderco.... Really not a fan of their knives at all. I've never had one personally, but i have handled some. Not my cup of tea, don't like the hole.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I've got a locking one I acquired from somewhere or other. It has a serrated section which I don't like and I prefer either my Mora, Opinel or SAK. It seem to me to have the disadvantages of a fixed blade without the advantage of a folder. Could be useful for water based activities though. If anyone over 18 wants one, I'm open to trade!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...probably the best in the world of factory knives..."

mmm, not sure I'd agree with that, different strokes for different folks I suppose. I have a UKPK, it is well made but I find it uncomfortable to use and I don't like the edge profile so much, I'm more of a Benchmade fan. Thanks for the pics though.

"...and giving away the other two as gifts..."

Make sure they give you a penny. :)

Last edited:

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
I looked at the UKPK and decided there was no way at that price! Bought a Byrd Tern (almost the same, and still Spyderco just not made in the US) instead for a much more reasonable price! Generally very happy with it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE