Spyderco Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If you do get one, the advice on the sheath is to get some long nose pliers and remove the plastic blade protection insert down in there. That was a Spyderco choice. I think this was their first leather sheath, and there may have been some institutional concern about leather being less safe. There is a greater chance of putting a knife in a leather sheath with a bit of an angle or in the wrong place and pushing it through the leather, compared to Bolteron, so they weren't wrong on that count, its just that if you are used to it, you don't do it. Reports are that it makes for a much better sheathing experience once the liner is gone ;)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've had one (two) of the spydercos and they are good knives but then I've also got one of Chris' knives which is clearly an ancestor and even better, imo. I've thought of selling it recently to fund other needs but I've been resisting as I'm sure I would regret it one day. I do have an Ian Atkinson sheath for the Spydie that I should list at some point too.

Interesting to see the Spydie with the high grind Mesquite - really changes it!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
As predicted byu the wiser folk on the forum, Moonraker did not have a Spyderco left. I have been promised a refund by the end of the day, so at least it has saved me my money! It was worth a try!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I only realised these had been discontinued when I was looking through the Spyderco catalogue the other day, it's a shame as they're a great knife, as Mary said there's a few of us that got bespoke handled ones thanks to Chris. It's also thanks to him that the project ended up being completed and the knives getting made.

Reactions: Mr Wolf

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
I only realised these had been discontinued when I was looking through the Spyderco catalogue the other day, it's a shame as they're a great knife, as Mary said there's a few of us that got bespoke handled ones thanks to Chris. It's also thanks to him that the project ended up being completed and the knives getting made.
Hows the flood damage mate?

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I have one of the BCUK knives with the spalted scales. Original sheath was horrible but mine came with a superb sheath made by someone on here (black sheep?). Scales are cracked but haven't come off yet. Beautiful tool.

Reactions: Stew

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have one of the BCUK knives with the spalted scales. Original sheath was horrible but mine came with a superb sheath made by someone on here (black sheep?). Scales are cracked but haven't come off yet. Beautiful tool.

Have you filled the cracks at all? Many thin layers of superglue works well if not.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
A slight thread refresh but looking at all the new super steels arriving to market I have question for Chris if he sees this thread.

Can you see any more runs of the Bushcrafter with these kinds of steels on either full, or sprint, runs that I know Spyderco are fond of.

It steps away from the tradition of high carbon steel for ease of sharpening but would a stainless (or a laminate) now negate that need for a easily rusted and stained steel?

I spend alot of time near water in a rainy world and actively avoid O1 etc.

TIA

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
This is where the Proficient fits in:

(Though not for that price!!!)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hi DWH,
Maybe, probably not, but it would be nice. Magnacut would be the perfect steel as far as I am concerned, because of its ability to hold a fine low angle edge...If money were no object! So many folk on US forums talk about low angle edges, then say they are using 15degrees per side, whereas I want something around 11 or 12.

However, I do care about the cost and using Magnacut or any of the high spec steels would make the knife more expensive, and one of the things I wanted to do was to make the knife more affordable while keeping its functionality. I spent a lot of the last year working on a cost-down design of the Proficient, but which would work just as well with the BushcraftUK. That prototype is now with Spyderco and while they have been generous with their compliments they are running at pretty much max capacity with the knives in production and those in the pipe line. A Bushcraft/Proficient revamp is a long way back in the queue.

You might find these threads interesting

And all 15 pages of this one, which I came to WAY late, but which prompted me to pull my finger out and get on with the designs I had been playing with since 2016!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE