Spyderco Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It does rather, doesn't it ?

The first batch had issues with the scales...which was a damned shame because the folks who bought them and dealt with the cracking in the wood using cyanacrylic stuff ended up with beautiful knives. It was a production issue and Spyderco eventually dealt with it.
From then on, I'm not clear what happened.
There were blanks available, and Chris made up a batch himself for some friends and Mods. I got one :D It's unique, it has green micarta scales and it has Chris' own mark on it as well as Spyderco.
It's a really good knife, and if one comes up for sale, it's very much worth having as a good bushcrafting all rounder.

M

Reactions: Mr Wolf

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
probably pulled because of its exorbitant price, I mean £350 mrsp, is a bit too much, when there are plenty better and cheaper alternatives,

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I am positively fine thank you, just think £350 is a bit much, no doubt can be had cheaper if shopping around, not sure why the model has been pulled would not be surprised to learn it was just not selling at the high price, I was unfortunate to have purchased one of the earlier ones with the crap handle, and as I recall was not offered any help to rectify the fault from Spyderco, one of the problems when buying a US knife , not only the cost of sending it back, but whether it will be allowed back in by C&E..

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The royalties went to BCUK / Tony. I did the design work and technical liaison work with Spyderco. I was set off on the task by Tony and Tony paid me for the original prototypes (two different designs). Lots of the moderators both past and present provided feedback. Particularly influential was Stuart. The relatively high percentage of left handed folk who are into bushcraft influenced the sheath to be ambidextrous, and the high number of people at the time jury rigging for baldric and horizontal carry drove the use of eyelets.

Shame it has been discontinued, but it was inevitable. It had a longer run than many models, which was very gratifying. To the best of my knowledge they produced them in runs of 1000 and at the 2011 Blade Show they were on their second run of the G10 version...which gives some idea of how it has done. Spyderco tries interesting designs, if they sell they do more runs, if not, they discontinue. According to Sal, many of the fixed blades don't really make them much profit and are kept in the inventory because they want to, not for purely hard headed economic advantage. That titbit made me appreciate even more how they made and kept making the Bushcraft model as they did.

Price...lets not go there again. :deadhorse: . Please.

Every once in a while I see someone or hear of someone who really likes the knife and has been using it way off grid, which is really nice.

Chris

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Just as an aside for the discussion if I remember rightly from what Chris told me the orginal design of the bushcrafter wasn't meant to be with a scandi grind but rather a sabre grind similar to what I had done to mine. I think he said it was meant to be a full flat grind but Spyderco decided to go scandi instead.

Having the sabre grind done along with the reindeer scales improved its handling greatly for me. Apologies on the condition but it's my only user hence its rather beat up appearance.

SPYDIE1.jpg

SPYDIE2.jpg

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
My original was a flat/convex, which is my preferred grind, but when Spyderco got involved we insisted they should do a Scandi grind. They would have been much happier doing some sort of sabre/flat and secondary bevel, like many of their other knives.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
My original was a flat/convex, which is my preferred grind, but when Spyderco got involved we insisted they should do a Scandi grind. They would have been much happier doing some sort of sabre/flat and secondary bevel, like many of their other knives.

My mistake, I thought yousaid it was Spyderco's decision on the scandi grind.

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
The flat with secondary bevel would have been easy to convex.
Guess you can take credit for the proficient too then
Edit...yes I see it's your design.

I like the design of the proficient, just not a fan of s90v in larger applications.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I am till making up my mind on the S90V. It is definitely harder to sharpen and I can't get the hair whittling edge that I like. It does seem to hold up in abrasive materials though.

I would love a hidden tang Proficient with a thick Micarta handle and Nitrobe77. :cool3:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
My mistake, I thought you said it was Spyderco's decision on the scandi grind.
It was a long time ago. I know that we pushed them away from the flat grind on the prototype we sent them. There was a vacuum in the market at the time that we thought we could fill nicely. Once we got talking I think they rather took to the idea of the Scandi, they like doing "different" and at the time a US manufacturer doing a zero grind Scandi was different.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have always wanted to handle both of Chris's knives.....but the chance has never come up.

Heinnie had the proficient in there black Friday sales at around the £300 mark, still kicking myself about not getting it. But that much on a knife is most days beyond my means....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE