Spyderco Bushcraft ,You-Tube Video.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
hi I like this knife but to expensive IMHO for a O1 steel producion knife.
I have ordered a KOSTER semicustom bushcrafter with 3V steel without shealth and micarta handel for $120 :-0
I think we´ll see Spyderco taking this knife out market becouse high price.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Chris

can you confirm the specs on it

whats the thickness and Bevel Angle ?? think i saw it at 1/8" some where but some of the forums are a while old so may have changed and the grind hight looks higher than normal ??

nice sheath shape I assume hollow rivetted for neck/various carrys ;)
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42090

needs a pencil holder tho :D

ATB

Duncan

LOL. I don't think I added quite enough eyelets to rig a pencil holder...dang! :D

Yeah, the eyelets are to allow rigging around the neck, or as a baldric, or as a horizontal belt carry. Its also ambidextrous.

Blade stock is 1/8th and the grind is about 10mm, grind angle is about 20degrees, but that is from measuring the one I have here. I can't find the particular email or discussion where we quoted a number. I know that Sal beefed it up a little, but that was probably a good thing. The grind is higher than is usual on other full tang scandis, but quite within the range for puukkos and we wanted to improve of the cutting ability found on thicker, steeper bevelled blades.

LOL. I don't think I added quite enough eyelets to rig a pencil holder...dang! :D

Yeah, the eyelets are to allow rigging around the neck, or as a baldric, or as a horizontal belt carry. Its also ambidextrous.

Blade stock is 1/8th and the grind is about 10mm, grind angle is about 20degrees, but that is from measuring the one I have here. I can't find the particular email or discussion where we quoted a number. I know that Sal beefed it up a little, but that was probably a good thing. The grind is higher than is usual on other full tang scandis, but quite within the range for puukkos and we wanted to improve of the cutting ability found on thicker, steeper bevelled blades.

thought it looked about 9-10mm but couldnt work out the thickness :D

oh any news on the blade blanks ?? there is no info i can find onthe Spyderco website on that or the knife for that matter

ATB

Duncan

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
No info as yet about blanks. Guess we will just have to wait and see what happens there. I think it would be a great thing. There is no reason why they can't sell them, partictularly as some of the main PITA factors in production involve the handle.

No info as yet about blanks. Guess we will just have to wait and see what happens there. I think it would be a great thing. There is no reason why they can't sell them, partictularly as some of the main PITA factors in production involve the handle.

could be good their current blanks in the Mule series of differnt steels are $20 ish
in theory you would hope this blank should be around that or cheaper :eek:

but that could undecut the knife quite seriously

Oh i think Sal mentioned 200 blanks had been made with the 1200 run of knifes but no idea on price and that tehy would sell them direct

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have to admit I've ordered one :eek: from the dealers offering them up for $189. Yes, it does seem to be quite a lot for a production knife but, if people's enthusiasm for Spyderco knives is anything to go by, it should be pretty good. I am looking forward to comparing it with my preferred cutting tool of the moment - an SBT Mk1 in 01. It'll be interesting to see how the blade shapes compare and how they feel in the hand in the short term and in longer, more sustained use. I do not like the look of the sheath and would love it if someone could recommend a really good leather worker who'd be prepared to make an alternative for me. Anyway, the ball is rolling and I am hoping for an early Christmas present to rattle through my letter box some stage soon...

If it'd be of any help to folk here, I'd be happy to post a comparative review between the SBT and the Spyderco once I've figured out how to do pictures easily! Boy, do I hate technology when I can't work it!

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I would be interested Tiley, especially since I ordered a Spyderco also. Mine should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday. Friday at latest.
I plan to try mine against a Woodlore clone, a SBT clone, a Kellum Puukko, an Enzo Trapper and anything else I can think of. I am not sure when I can get out and my cam skills are weak. I will try to come up with some useful information.
I do like the specs on the Spydie, 1/8 thick by 10mm should make it light in the hand, unlike my 4mm monster:) We shall see! Cheers.

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
Aye Mike,
depends on the exchange rates but still, i wouldnt pay more than £50 for it, to me its an overprced factory made inferiour version of the woodlore made to profit from the bushcraft scene.

Isn't anyone making knives suitable for bushcraft activities aiming to profit from the bushcraft scene? Why else would you make a knife for sale, surely not to lose money?

snag68

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2005
Birmingham UK
I also have to admit to purchasing one from the US. £120 I believe posted.

I've followed the various threads revolving around this knife with great interest on various forums. I have loads of knives both factory and custom made, I have to admit to selling most of my custom knives.

I'll give my honest opinion when I've given it a good work out.

For one I'm glad a major manufacturer has listened and made a knife like this, if it is as good as my BRKT Aurora I'll be a happy bunny.

Dazz

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
My Spyerco Bushcraft arrived yesterday and my initial impression is very favorable. I have not actually removed if from the protective packaging or cleaned off the packing oils, not had time.
I must say that the handle is extremely comfortable, fits the hand beautifully. Much more comfotable than my Woodlore clone. The wood scales are really fantastic, mine are darker finish than most photos I have seen and it is great looking wood.
As I said, I have not really unpackaged the knife so I have not had a look and feel of the blade, it is a good thickness, not too thick, not too thin. I am sure it comes sharp as all Sypercos do.
I will have more info when I have had a proper look at it. We are on holiday here and that is taking all my attention. Cheers.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i think they would look realy cool with a micarta handle have to wait for the blanks to come out and fit one up they look a nice blade

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
hi Ahjno,
i can tell that i wouldnt find the handle confortable by the pics, i havent handled one of these, few have. i have....

That's a neat skill Josh.

I have handled the prototype to this knife (same handle) and without doubt, the handle is one of the most comfortable aspects of the knife. It's definitely one of those times where pictures wont tell the story, you need to handle one. I'm not a massive fan of this knife for other reasons - mainly to do with the hole in the blade, but I'm pretty sure the handle is going to be something a lot of people will be impressed with.

Last edited:

pwb

Rivets on the sheet of a knife with such a price is a no-no.

I think as the sheath is going to have to cater for multiple customer preferences of carry options as well as right and left handed buyers, I suppose rivets are the most cost effective way of trying to achieve this near impossible task.

Cheers,
Pete.

PS Does anyone know if it's likely for blade blanks to be made available in the future.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
For some reason ( the wind being slightly east of southwest, high tide, the correct orientation of the stars etc ), tonight my mobile broadband has been fast enough for me to watch the Youtube film.
While I think that it's a lovely looking knife, and I like the handle shape, I think that unless you're a collector or a big fan of Spyderco knives, for that price a custom knife off any of the makers on this forum would be a better idea.
I like supporting people that that make things that "we" like, especially when they're enthusiasts like us trying to make a living in an uncertain world.

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE