Springtime Photos - Man Orchid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Well it is the time for orchids and wild flowers generally are really stunning around here at the moment, so I have been out and about with the camera and thought to post a few over the next few days.

This is not strictly bushcraft because despite the being uses for orchids as with many wild plants, it is the aesthetic charm of the flowers that really inspires me with their often stunning beauty, and also the incredible mimicry they often employ to entice insects to pollinate them. They are truly one of natures great wonders there for all to see if you look in the right places and always bring a smile to peoples faces when they see them. Like they say 'don't forget to sniff the flowers on the way' or in the case of orchids, to gaze in wonder ;)

I love seeing other peoples photos and other things people see out and about so if you get the chance, post a few you have taken recently or remember to pack the camera for the next trip ;) Just a few words to describe what it is and how you came to take it is also interesting...

Man Orchid (Aceras anthropophorum)

The Man Orchid is well named given the shape of the 'hang man' shaped lip hanging down from the 'helmet' formed from the sepals. In fact in French it is called the 'Homme-pendu' or hangman ;) Click the link for more details. Size between 10-40 cm tall. This year they are particularly rampant it seems and I found groups of some 10-30 as well as scattered individuals. This one was found up on a steep bank of a local valley a few km away from my village. This meant I could get right down below it and capture the fresh green of the new oak foliage as a backdrop and the lovely clear blue sky we had that day.

nat-hangman_orchid_frame.jpg

'Hangman' detail. Close up showing more clearly the amazing shape of the lip,somtimes yellow, in this case tinged an impressive blood red to add to the effect :).
nat-hangman_detail.jpg

It is possible to find the Man Orchid in southern counties of Britian, found also to the west and central part of Europe, especially in the Mediterranean region (except the east). Here is a map of distribution in the British Isles:

nat-aceras_uk_dist.jpg

source: nbn gateway. more detail available there if you search this species.

happy spotting :)

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
Beautiful pictures, I really like them! You say this is not really bushcraft, but, I'd say it definitely is- the appreciation of nature is as important as the skills required to exist among it, IMO. I doubt you'd really get one without the other.

Anyway, talking of orchids, reminds me to take a trip into Cressbrook Dale (Peak District, UK) with my wife. Prior to our first date I was wondering what to do- bar/meal/cinema, the usual. A friend suggested a stroll to see the Early Purple Orchids which were still out at the time (might be a bit late by now), so we went out in the rain for a walk, and well, the rest is history as they say. :)

Not my photo, but pretty all the same:
orchid1.jpg

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Lovely photo underground :)

Like I said not 'strictly bushcraft but like you say very much part of the experience and enjoyment of the natural world.

Sometimes when we walk from a-b you miss so much on the way. I tend to dawdle and often get captivated by tiny details of lichen or a tree etc, although usually is when I am enjoying a piece of bread and cheese under a shady tree and the whole of nature seems to drift in and out of focus :) Also the sounds and the smells...

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Nice pics guys. I love seeing other people's wildlife photographs, please do post more :)

Wild plants are definitely part of Bushcraft. I mean, it's by becoming interested in wild things that we learn from them and there's a lot to learn from the plant world. I'm very easily captivated and wowed by Nature though.

Bit of a cheat really but this Scabious is actually a cultivar "Butterfly Blue" and is growing in my garden rather than the wild:

Incidently Scabious was once thought to be a cure for Scabies and that's how it got it's name. Each stage of development of the flower is interesting, here's the half developed bud:

Ok the Red Dead Nettle is genuinely wild :)

There are more plant pics on my website - Nemorosa

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
FeralSheryl said:
Nice pics guys. I love seeing other people's wildlife photographs, please do post more :)

OK, you asked... [hope it works - first time posting images]

[Edit: reduced image size and made them links to the original sized images]

Broom

Field Pansy

Hawthorn

Ramson (Yum)

Cornflower

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
They are both great! :) really nice to see these guys...
FeralSheryl, I love Scabious which is a great nectar source for butterflies so it is well named the "Butterfly Blue". Didn't know about the scabies name thing either.

Povarian, I especially like the way you caught the droplets on the broom flowers.

One thing, I struggled a little to view the thread because the images are quite BIG and I only have isdn internet connection. I find 600 x 450/ 400 is a good size on the forum ;)

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Moonraker said:
...I struggled a little to view the thread because the images are quite BIG and I only have isdn internet connection. I find 600 x 450/ 400 is a good size on the forum ;)
Good point and something I tend to forget. Apologies for that :eek:.

I've edited my post to reduce the images to big thumbnails. They're active links to the larger pics should you want to see them and if bandwidth allows :)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
FeralSheryl said:
Good point and something I tend to forget. Apologies for that :eek:.

I've edited my post to reduce the images to big thumbnails. They're active links to the larger pics should you want to see them and if bandwidth allows :)
Good idea. Sometimes it is nice to be able to see a larger version.

reinhardt, you have some gorgeous colours and texture in those photos. I really think that there is no 'perfect' photo and often the quick snaps are often the best..

Again though the images are quite big (size wise and image file size) for non-broadband ;)

In terms of file size I try to aim at around 100k size jpg up to 200k when posting. Also some titles (names of plants if you can give them) are nice to have.

Please don't hold back on posting though, certainly not 10 years anyhow :)

Here are a few more recent shots recent trip. Once so common but sadly declining and too often treated simply as a 'weed' in corn fields in Britain certainly, the Field Poppy (Papaver rhoeas)

Field Poppy

nat-filed_poppy.jpg

Poets Eye Narcissus (Narcissus poeticus) beautiful flower, beautiful scent and beautiful name:)

nat-narcissus.jpg

It was taken in a whole field of them growing just a few minutes away in a wonderful unsprayed, unspoilt meadow. the scent was quite sublime. They used to be grown and collected from the wild around here for perfume. In a few places they are still cultivated. Perhaps this was a long forgotten field.

nat-narcissus_field.jpg

Lastly so it is not all flowers out there ;)

Scarce Swallowtail Butterfly (Iphiclides podalirius). A common sight around here but still gives me a smile to see one with it's lazy, hazy flight. This one was just emerging from a woodpile in the garden as I was cutting the grass.

nat-scarce_swallow_frame.jpg

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Moonraker,
The Poets eye is amazing! Beautiful, as are the rest.
Sorry i didnt notice the earlier conversation about image size. I've changed mine to links instead. Plant names... :eek: I knew this one would come up! I actually don't know either species by its binominal name. I'll try and find out though.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
On the wild plant theme, I've noticed there have been other threads concerning Plantlore, but people seemed very cautious about the subject. No doubt with good reason, Fungus isn't the only thing you can get into trouble with if you get it wrong :eek:

That said I'd really like to see a general Plantlore thread, that starts like this one with pictures we've taken and each of us adding any info we have about the plant. Treating the culinary/medicinal info with sensible caution, I'd be very interested in all the other things we can learn about them. For example as we've done here a little, the origin of it's name, what it's botanical name means, where it's distributed, mythology surrounding it and of course all it's practical bushcraft uses (well, naturally!).

Season by season it could grow into quite a useful data source.
Hmmm... but would we be taking it outside the propper range of this forum?
And... would anyone else be interested?

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
FeralSheryl said:
That said I'd really like to see a general Plantlore thread, that starts like this one with pictures we've taken and each of us adding any info we have about the plant. Treating the culinary/medicinal info with sensible caution, I'd be very interested in all the other things we can learn about them. For example as we've done here a little, the origin of it's name, what it's botanical name means, where it's distributed, mythology surrounding it and of course all it's practical bushcraft uses (well, naturally!).

Season by season it could grow into quite a useful data source.
Hmmm... but would we be taking it outside the propper range of this forum?
And... would anyone else be interested?
I think it's a good idea :) Few things to consider. There are already some very decent sites on the web which have this sort of info and it is good to avoid duplication of efforts. Also when we offer advice and info on plant uses, unless we are sure that information is 100% accurate and safe it is better to link to more authoritative sources, whether online or quote from books etc. There is a lot of misleading and simply incorrect detail given on the web for instance. Finally if it was on thread it would become large and not so easy to search through for any particular plant as they became buried under subsequent posts.

Having said that, I am sure people have info to share and where it relates to medical or edible use, is linked to or quoted from reliable sources (and sources preferably cited), then the more the better. Perhaps simply as a new thread for each plant then the info is in one place and people can add more overtime and makes it easier to search for it. Great idea to add details of Plantlore and history of the name which often give clues to past uses etc.

I will look to add a few over the next week or so.

reinhardt_woets, I was going to check the names but they appear to have changed into ducks now :D Lovely close ups of the ducklings.

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Damn! That wasnt supposed to happen...;) Ill try to change it tonight back to the origional. In the mean time enjoy. Dont hesitate to ask the names of the duckies. The one on the far left is Kwak, next is Snout, then is ow no the first one is snout THEN kwak or was it feather?.....:D

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
Moonraker said:
One thing, I struggled a little to view the thread because the images are quite BIG and I only have isdn internet connection. I find 600 x 450/ 400 is a good size on the forum ;)
Oops - didn't think. I've followed FeralSheryl's lead, and reduced the image size - also made them links to the original size images.

Moonraker said:
Povarian, I especially like the way you caught the droplets on the broom flowers.
Thanks. This one was natural - remains of the morning dew, but I have read somewhere (many eons ago) that professional photographers sometimes use a spray to create the same effect, to make an otherwise "plain" area of colour have a point of focus.

reinhardt_woets said:
Looking at other posts I notice I've got a lot to learn and experience...Just you wait people. Give me ten years and ill be back!
Nah, stick around - I only started this flower photography thing 6 weeks ago. It's no coincidence that all my piccies are of May flowerers. Got fed up not knowing what anything was, so I'm now taking photos to help identify what I'm seeing. When I started, the only one of the above I could name was Hawthorn, although I could guess some sort of pansy. ...and I get to start June today now I'm back off holiday.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
reinhardt_woets said:
Looking at other posts I notice I've got a lot to learn and experience...Just you wait people. Give me ten years and ill be back! :D :)
I love the pictures you've posted already so don't stop now! Besides, we're all learning as we go along and that's the fun of it. There are nice little secrets revealed in every picture, even the ones that aren't technically perfect. Sometimes more so.:)

Sensible approach Moonraker, by the way. Wise words :)

Ryan Woods

Nomad
May 20, 2005
Where my bergan is
Thank you for the kind words. After the 24 (day my exams finish) planning to take some books from the libary concerning digital photography, to assists me while shooting and get some speed in this learning :p

Really enjoy practicing it. It is the journey not the destination, eh! :D

EDIT: below are the flower photo links...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/RyanWoods/p5300026.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/RyanWoods/p5300022.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/RyanWoods/p5300015.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/RyanWoods/p5300013.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/RyanWoods/p5300009.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/RyanWoods/p5300005.jpg

C

CatFisH

Viola pedata / Birdsfoot Violet
Violapedata3resize.jpg

Dactura Strominium/ Jimsom Weed
Dactura.jpg

Saxifraga virginiensis/ Early Saxifrage
EarlySaxifageresize.jpg

Prunus Mexicana/ Mexican Plum
MexicanPlum1resize.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE