Sppons and stuff

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Have been meaning to post some of my efforts on here for a while.

Spoons. The one one the left is the first one I ever made, and accordingly is thick and chunky. It and the nicely shaped one next to it are both from cherry. The other two, a salad spoon and a ladle/bailer are both from oak.
5619170268_e94130c8a7.jpg

Back view. Note that the ladle is made from a whole log, without splitting it down its length first. The wood was the right shape for what I wanted and the centre of the grain moved around a bit in the wood. No problem with a little care.
5619170554_54949e7075.jpg

More implements. To the left we have a butter knife, made from Ginkyo (just because). Next to that is a big fork made from Rhododendron. In the middle is my favourite user spoon, made from ivy in about an hour. That one stays in my food kit at all times. The spatula is more of a pretend piece, as it is made from a bit of cherry that came off when I was making my first spoon. I shaped it to see if I could, but it is so thin it would probably break if actually used. Finally is my patented bone knork (knife/fork) made from a cow bone I found on a hillside.
5618583747_2c74ce8899.jpg

Closeup of the end of the Knork. It was meant to have 3 prongs, but the shape gave me more of a blade for the third one, so I went with it. It ended up like a bushcraft fish-knife. Some of us are rather refained, you know...
5619171020_8d2f80e449.jpg

My pine drinking cup. Found a small pine that was freshly cut down. Did little more than cut a section, take the bark off, and scoop out the middle. Finished with some olive oil to give a translucent look.
5619171244_1f0f766ce9.jpg

5619171490_79afd44d6f.jpg

Finally, my kuksa. Took three months to make, from a log of silver birch from mid-Wales. Again, whole log, so includes centre grain, which is why it took so long. Thick and chunky, as I made this shortly after my first spoon. The bit at the other end of the cord is chestnut, for tucking through my belt to hold the kuksa in place.
5619171740_07f1ebefcd.jpg

Unfortunately, there was a bit of internal rot that went right through the side of the bowl, so I filled it with some milliput putty that I had. It works, but it sort of spoils the effect a little.
5618584839_dd16093e36.jpg

As you can see, I'm not especially talented, but they were fun to make, and I'm getting better with time. Thanks for looking.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Cool! I really like the idea of the knork(patpend) and your execution of the knork(patpend) looks great!, will you be making another for a .............matching...............snigger..........pair of..........childish grin spreading..............knorks(patpend)?

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi mike nice one on the sppons much better than mine if you want some lamb bones just let me know regards dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE